A Note from Debra Clark Stewart, Director, Supplier Diversity, Workforce Development and Community Outreach
Creating a diverse supply chain has been a priority at Shell since the earliest days of corporate supplier diversity. The energy industry, as a major force in our economy, must continually challenge itself to stay on the cutting edge - creating dynamic new approaches that actually result in real opportunities and a higher level of diversity success. Shell has accepted the challenge and our new diversity strategy is 100% focused on results.
The energy industry, and corporations overall, must improve at helping suppliers find their fit within the supply chain:
- When we work with suppliers who meet our criteria, we must be more proactive, more focused on opportunities that really exist and helping suppliers navigate the procurement process.
- We must be more clear and direct about our priorities and real opportunities so suppliers can decide where to focus their energy and resources.
- We must take a more integrated approach with our prime suppliers to make sure we are on the same page in terms of working with diverse suppliers.
- We need to have a stronger capacity building approach and structure it as a long term investment, helping smaller M/WBEs find the resources and giving them time to grow into substantial suppliers.
- We will be more focused on transparency and accountability for us and all our partners, prime suppliers and M/WBEs.
- We will support our prime suppliers in achieving accountability and transparency in working toward their diversity goals.
- We support and challenge our advocacy partners to work with more collaboration to create approaches across organizations that help small, minority and woman-owned businesses succeed.
- We need M/WBEs to become laser focused on finding their fit. While we will be constantly refreshing our resources to help them with that search, we will expect them to be self-directed and diligent in creating and articulating value for Shell.
It is something of a paradigm shift, moving away from a more traditional supplier diversity model into a more proactive, transparent, and frankly, demanding approach. This website will be a primary outlet for information and tools to keep us all on the same path. We know we're asking a lot of all the players. Shell is up to the challenge. Are you?
Debra Clark Stewart