Alpha Olefins expansion announced for Geismar, Louisiana
Nov 30, 2015
Shell takes final investment decision to expand Alpha Olefins production at Geismar chemical plant in US Gulf Coast
November 30, 2015 – Houston – Shell Chemical LP (Shell) today announces the final investment decision to increase Alpha Olefins (AO) production at its chemical manufacturing site in Geismar, Louisiana, making the site the largest AO producer in the world. Shell will construct a fourth AO unit, adding 425,000 tonnes of capacity.
The chemical site is used in the production of stronger and lighter polyethylene plastic for packaging and bottles, as well as engine and industrial oils and drilling fluids.
“This important investment demonstrates our ongoing commitment to the growth potential in chemicals,” said Graham van’t Hoff, Executive Vice President for Royal Dutch Shell plc’s global Chemicals business. “With the investment in new, profitable facilities, Shell Chemicals is well placed to respond to increased global customer demand for linear alpha olefins. We have strong technology, advantaged ethylene feedstock from nearby Norco and Deer Park sites, and operational flexibility to allow us to respond to market conditions.”
Construction of the new unit will begin in the first quarter of 2016. The new capacity brings the total AO production at Shell’s Geismar site to more than 1.3 million tonnes per annum; the site, with a strong track record of reliable and safe performance, also produces alcohols, ethoxylates, ethylene oxide and ethylene glycols.
The Shell Geismar Chemical Plant is located next to the Mississippi River, about 20 miles south of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It is a stand-alone chemicals manufacturing plant, operated by Shell Chemical LP. In addition to Geismar, Shell produces AO at Stanlow in the UK, operated by Essar Oil (UK) Ltd on Shell’s behalf as part of an integrated oil refinery and petrochemicals site.
The Geismar Plant is an effective and dynamic organization, known in our industry as the supplier of choice.
Shell Media Relations
International: +44 20 7934 5550
Americas: +1 713 241 4544, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shell Investor Relations
International: +31 70 377 4540
North America: +1 832 337 2034
Notes to Editors:
About Shell Chemicals
- Alpha Olefins are used in the production of stronger and lighter polyethylene plastic for packaging and bottles, as well as engine and industrial oils and drilling fluids.
- Shell Chemicals ranks among the world’s Top 10 chemicals suppliers, selling more than 17 million tonnes of petrochemicals per year to customers, many of whom are leaders in their own fields.
- Our world-class integrated manufacturing plants are in Asia-Pacific (Singapore), Europe (Netherlands), and North America (the US Gulf Coast and Canada).
- We have three leading research centres in the US, the Netherlands and India, with nearly 3,000 scientists and support staff.
- Our market-leading proprietary technologies underpin our strong product portfolio. We also invest to develop next-generation technologies that could use new types of feedstocks, at lower costs and with reduced environmental impact.
- We draw strength from being part of an integrated energy company; we benefit from shared infrastructures, access to a variety of feedstocks, and deep manufacturing and processing expertise. This gives Shell a competitive advantage over stand-alone chemicals companies.
- For more details, visit www.shell.com/chemicals.