Geomatics Specialist/GIS Specialist
A Geo Information Analyst/GIS Specialist at Shell will work within our Projects & Technology (P&T) organization to help us meet the growing demand for energy. P&T collaborates with our Upstream and Downstream businesses. You’ll play a pivotal role in helping Shell become the world’s most innovative energy company.
The Shell Graduate Program
The Shell Graduate Program is designed to help you make the most of your potential, both professionally and personally. From day one, you’ll have a supervisor and mentor to help you establish and execute an Individual Development Plan outlining your career goals and how you’ll achieve them. This plan dictates how much time you’ll spend in the program, which can be anywhere from 2 to 3 years. Throughout this time, you’ll be placed in a wide range of hands-on roles with competence-building tasks challenging and inspiring you to discover your strengths, develop your skills and broaden your experience in various real-world situations.
This program will also give you the opportunity to hone your expertise and leadership abilities and obtain industry-recognized qualifications through formal training courses, discipline-specific e-learning modules and world-class workshops. In addition, you’ll receive support from an international network of seasoned industry professionals. To monitor and track your performance in the program, your supervisor and mentor will conduct regular progress checks. Upon successful completion of your final review, you’ll be placed in the Shell Advanced Technical Program, which will prepare you for a more senior role at our company.
Geo Information Analyst/GIS Specialist
In this position, you’ll support an exploration team by conducting exploration, prospect generation, regional geologic studies and maturation of drillable prospects. You will manage, analyze and visualize spatial data for one or more business project teams, utilizing Geographic Information Systems (GIS) applications and tools as needed. What’s more, you’ll develop workflows and collaborate with the Geo-Information Management (GIM) team to identify, create, locate and utilize geo-information.
Shell Exploration -- Meet Shell's Young Explorers
Roles and responsibilities
- Ensuring that project data is attributed with proper metadata, is published appropriately in corporate or global data stores, and is geodetically sound
- Utilizing the ArcGIS Desktop suite to analyze spatial relationships between data (includes gridding, contouring and 3D visualizations; areal relations between features; statistical trend analyses; and correlations between data sets)
- Presenting data and results of analyses in the form of maps, charts, graphs or web services that are cartographically complete, correct, clear and concise
- Creating key business maps and producing ad-hoc or on-off maps
- Identifying, creating and improving workflows dealing with spatial data exchanges between G&G software applications
- Creating scripts, tools or models where appropriate to enhance data flow and analysis
- Promoting and sharing the power and possibilities of Geo-Information (GI) and GIS technologies with peers and customer groups in support of staff learning and development
Training and development opportunities
The resources and learning opportunities available to you at Shell are some of the best in the industry. As a graduate curious to know more about your chosen field you’ll benefit from a well-established learning and development program, fully aligned with the requirements for professional progression.
We aim to develop your competencies and capabilities in as short a time as possible, and enable you to make the most of the opportunities presented to you. You’ll receive regular progress checks from experienced professionals to ensure you are properly supported on your development path.