At Shell Deer Park, our employees are actively involved in making the communities surrounding our site a great place to live and work. Our employees, retirees and their family members have participated in a variety of service projects that support education, the environment, social services and culture/arts.
Not only do we provide community grants to qualified non-profits in this area, but we also encourage our employees to get involved in the community through the Shell Employees and Retirees Volunteer Effort program (SERVE). The distinctive yellow SERVE t-shirts have become a proud symbol of public service throughout the greater Houston area.
Our employees have collected food for the hungry, provided gifts and holiday meals for at-risk children and their families, planted trees to enhance parks, held school supply drives, helped deliver meals to the elderly and homebound and helped former addicts, the homeless and victims of family violence get back on their feet.
In addition, Shell Deer Park employees helped establish the Deer Park Community Advisory Council. They have also held and continue to hold leadership positions in many community organizations, such as local emergency planning committees, Channel Industries Mutual Aid, volunteer fire departments, the Deer Park Chamber of Commerce, the East Harris County Manufacturers Association, Houston Regional Monitoring, the Economic Alliance, the Texas Chemical Council and the Deer Park Educational Foundation.
Through the HERO (Helping Employees Reach Out) program, Shell supports employee and pensioner gifts to select nonprofit agencies and schools throughout the U.S., which extends the reach of personal and corporate giving. HERO is a Shell social investment program to financially increase the impact when employees give money and time to 501c (3) non-profit organizations they feel passionately about.
Shell provides 1-to-1 matching funds up to $7,500, but there’s a double matching period that occurs each fall. Shell Deer Park’s HERO campaign helps employees fuel their commitment to giving back. In the fall 2015 campaign, the site logged $1.6 million in matching gifts toward organizations Shell Deer Park employees are passionate about.
FOCUS ON EDUCATION
At Shell Deer Park, we aim to provide youth in communities surrounding our site with valuable post-secondary opportunities and other development programs so they can achieve their fullest potential and serve as effective leaders across a variety of sectors. We also aim to address the workforce needs of our industry and empower students to pursue fulfilling petrochemical careers.
Our focus on education includes:
- Enabling the discovery of STEM education through robotics
- Sponsoring numerous local high school students at the Louisiana Youth Seminar – a week-long leadership development camp at Louisiana State University that builds effective communication and team-building skills while encouraging students to dream big
- Serving as the presenting sponsor of the Deer Park Education Foundation’s Strides for Schools 5K Fun Run, which benefits hundreds of teachers and students at the schools surrounding our site
- Providing youth from Pasadena, Deer Park and La Porte with the opportunity to pursue post-secondary programs and additional education via a diverse array of grants and scholarships
- Partnering with San Jacinto Community College to host Date with Destiny, a career and education awareness forum for women interested in exploring technical careers and/or education in the oil and gas industry