Main content | back to top
The Geismar Plant is an effective and dynamic organization, known in our industry as the supplier of choice for our customers; the employer of choice for our staff, who are the key to our success; a welcome neighbor, adding value to the community by our presence.
Over Forty Years of Growth and Progress
As a member of the community, we take great pride in being a part of the economic engine that helps to keep Ascension Parish growing. Being a good neighbor in the community is not just running a business. We take an active part in our education system and also spend time doing volunteer work in our community to help those in need. We believe that our people are our most valuable asset.
The Royal Dutch/Shell Group (the "Shell Group") - A global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with functions in more than 100 countries and territories. Our aim is to meet the energy needs of society, in ways that are economically, socially and environmentally viable, now and in the future.
Shell Chemicals - With major manufacturing facilities around the world, the companies that make up Shell Chemicals number among the world's largest petrochemical operations. We focus on the production of bulk petrochemicals and their delivery to large industrial customers who, in turn, use them to make many of the essential materials of our modern world.
Shell Chemical LP -The Shell Group’s chemical business operations in the U.S. are performed through Shell Chemical LP, which is one of nearly 70 companies engaged in chemicals businesses for the Shell Group.
Shell Chemicals Geismar - Because the name Shell Chemicals refers to the group of chemical businesses within the Shell Group, we use Shell Chemicals Geismar to refer to the Geismar Chemical Plant in Ascension Parish, Louisiana. The community of Geismar is located approximately four miles from the Shell Chemicals Geismar Plant.
People are our most important resource. Core values, shared and embraced throughout the organization, are critical to achieving our mission and our vision. Our values are:
- Commitment to, and personal responsibility for safety excellence is shared by all employees
- Decisions reflect what is good for the organization as a whole
- Communications are open, direct, and meaningful
- Business information and strategies are widely shared and understood
- Management is visible and accessible
- Innovation and creativity are encouraged
- Employees are positive representatives of Shell in the community
We are proud to be a part of this community which is part of Ascension Parish, one of the fastest growing Parishes in the State of Louisiana.
|1967||First unit production of glycols and surfactants|
|1976||Major expansion with addition of second EO/EG unit >Completed Geismar Biotreater installation|
Major expansion with completion of Shell Higher Olefins Process (SHOP)
Major expansion to Geismar Biotreater
|1979||Major expansion with completion of second EO/EG unit|
|1984||Expansion to SHOP process to provide finishing facilities for the lighter AO (Alpha Olefins) products|
|1988||Major expansion with addition of second world scale SHOP unit|
|1992||Shell acquired the antebellum home Ashland Belle-Helene and began efforts to preserve this historic asset|
|1994||Major expansion with completion of third world scale EO/EG unit|
|1996||Completed market development unit for 1,3-propanediol (PDO)|
|1998||The first commercial 1,3-propanediol (PDO) unit was completed at Geismar|
|2001||Addition of product capability in detergent alcohol units with completion of OIU facility|
Additional Alpha Olefins (AO) capacity with completion of AO-3 unit as part of GOAL (Geismar Olefins and Alcohols) expansion
Completed Cogeneration Units with capability of 80 MW
PEOPLE are our most valuable asset and SAFETY is our number ONE product
The Plant is located on the east bank of the Mississippi River, 20 miles downriver from Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
On January 18, 1965 Shell announced the purchase of the Geismar site. The original site was about 700 acres and was formerly part of Ashland - Belle Helene Plantation. By mid-1966, the construction was in full swing. Offices were moved to the plant site in February, 1967 from a leased location at 721 Government Street in Baton Rouge.
The Shell Geismar facility manufactures Detergent Alcohols, Ethylene Glycol, Alpha Olefins, and a diversified line of ethylene based industrial chemicals used in a wide range of modern applications.
The Shell Geismar Plant site currently contains approximately 800 acres of which only 400 acres are developed. The site has 530 employees and a varying number of contractors. We take great pride in the fact that our PEOPLE are our most valuable asset and SAFETY is our number ONE product.
- Alpha Olefins - Alpha olefins are used to make high-performance synthetic lubricants, biodegradable detergents, drilling fluids, and as co-monomers to make stronger, lighter polyethylene film.
- Ethylene Glycols - used to make soft drink bottles and containers. Also used to produce polyester fibers with aid in the production of clothes, upholstery, carpet, pillows, and surgical supplies. Some Ethylene Glycol is used in the production of antifreeze and heat transfer fluids.
Our team is rigorously trained and highly professional.
- Pursue the goal of no harm to people;
- Protect the environment and strive to prevent pollution;
- Use material and energy efficiently to provide our products and services;
- Respect our neighbors and contribute to the societies in which we operate;
- Develop energy resources, products and services consistent with these aims;
- Publicly report on our performance;
- Play a leading role in promoting best practice in our industries;
- Manage HSSE & SP matters as any other critical business activity;
- Meet applicable HSSE laws, regulations, and other requirements; and
- Promote a culture in which Shell employees share this commitment.
In this way we aim to have an HSSE & SP performance we can be proud of, to earn the confidence of customers, shareholders and society at large, to be a good neighbor and to contribute to sustainable development.
HSSE Policy - The Shell Chemical LP, Geismar Plant
- Has a systematic approach to HSSE & SP management designed to ensure compliance with the law and to achieve continuous performance improvement;
- Sets targets for improvement and measures, appraises and reports performance;
- Requires contractors to manage HSSE & SP in line with this policy;
- Requires joint ventures under its operational control to apply this policy, and uses its influence to promote it in its other ventures;
- Engages effectively with neighbors and impacted communities; and
- Includes HSSE & SP performance in the appraisal of staff and rewards accordingly.