Main content | back to top
Shell Carson Distribution Complex was originally built in 1924 as a refinery, which was 44 years before the City of Carson was established. The facility was originally built to support the growing manufacturing industry and helped spark an increase in jobs within the community during WWII.
In 1992, the refinery was decommissioned and dismantled.
Today the facility is approximately 400+ acres and operates as a distribution facility by receiving and distributing fuels throughout the Southern California region via pipeline and truck delivery.
The Carson complex is connected to satellite terminals which include Mormon Island Marine Terminal at the Los Angeles Port, Van Nuys Terminal and Signal Hill Terminal.
Additionally, the Carson Terminal serves as the largest ethanol hub on the West Coast. Ethanol is blended into gasoline to help it burn cleaner, which helps improve air quality.
Carson operations are dedicated to safety and put safety as the top priority.
The many professionals at the facility provide expertise in purchasing, finance, environmental stewardship, health and safety, communications, human resources, training and social performance.
These individuals as well many before them have helped the Shell Carson facility become an integral and respected part of the community.
We at Shell are proud of that relationship and will continue to work to preserve it by continuing to conduct our business safely, with integrity and efficiency, and with open communication with our neighbors.