Products in Action: Shell Rotella
Construction company reduces costs by switching to all-season Shell Rotella T6 synthetic engine oil
Total Reported Annual Customer Savings of $4,202,520
COMPANY: Sureway Construction Group Ltd
APPLICATION: Heavy-duty diesel engines
SAVING: US$4,202,520 total reported annual customer saving
KEY EDGE: Shell Rotella T6 SAE 5W-40 synthetic engine oil
Sureway Construction Group Ltd in Alberta, Canada, operates approximately 700 items of construction equipment, including some manufactured by Caterpillar, Komatsu, John Deere and Volvo, which it uses to transport heavy loads and move earth.
As the company operates throughout the year in temperatures ranging from –30°C in winter to 40°C in summer, it was changing its lubricant from an SAE15W-40 grade in the summer to an SAE 0W-30 grade in the winter. However, this was laborious and costly. In addition, the operators often had to replace the oil before the oil-drain interval of 250 hours. The company sought a single all-season lubricant to reduce its labour and oil consumption costs, so turned to Shell for advice.
Shell’s technical team suggested Shell Rotella T6 SAE 5W-40, a synthetic heavyduty diesel engine oil that offers extreme temperature performance. After the team identified the cost savings that could be achieved by switching to the Shell product, Sureway decided to make the change. By working closely with Shell engineers and using tools such as used oil analysis, Sureway established that it could increase its oil-drain interval by 100%, from 250 to 500 hours. As a result of changing to Shell Rotella T6 and extending its oil-drain interval, Sureway has reduced its maintenance costs by 60%. It has also reduced production downtime, increased equipment availability and eliminated the inconvenience of changing the oil grade twice a year. The company has reported a total annual saving of US$4,202,520.
Sureway Construction Group operates heavy diesel engine equipment throughout the year in temperatures ranging from –30 to +40°C and was seeking a single all-season lubricant solution to reduce its labour and oil consumption costs.
The Shell technical team suggested Shell Rotella T6 SAE 5W-40, a synthetic heavy-duty diesel engine oil that offers extreme temperature performance and extended oil-drain capabilities.
Through changing to Shell Rotella T6, Sureway has reduced its maintenance and oil costs by increasing its oil-drain interval from 250 to 500 hours. It also reduced its production downtime, increased equipment availability and eliminated the inconvenience of changing the oil grade twice a year.
By extending its oil-drain interval and reducing its maintenance costs by 60%, Sureway has reported a total annual saving of US$4,202,520.1
1The savings indicated are specific to the calculation date and mentioned site. These calculations may vary from site-to-site and from time-to-time, depending on, for example, the application, the operating conditions, the current products being used, the condition of the equipment and the maintenance practices.
SHELL ROTELLA T6 SAE 5W-40
FULLY SYNTHETIC HEAVY-DUTY DIESEL ENGINE OIL – EXTREME TEMPERATURE PERFORMANCE Shell Rotella T6 Energised Protection™ oil features Shell’s exclusive low-SAPS additive technology reinforced with a novel anti-wear system. Its protective power is further enhanced through the use of synthetic base oil technology that increases additive activity to help deliver low-viscosity fuel-saving performance with no compromise in durability. Its key benefits include compatibility with exhaust emissions control systems, protection in extreme operating temperatures and fuel economy performance.2
- For new and older diesel-powered vehicles. Shell Rotella T6 is suitable for new and older diesel-powered vehicles ranging from Class 8 tractor/trailers to medium-size commercial vehicles, diesel pickups, delivery, utility and school bus fleets, and mixed fleets.
- Meets or exceeds diesel engine requirements. Shell Rotella T6 meets or exceeds the requirements of API CJ-4, Cummins, Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel, Mack, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo and Ford.
Performance features and benefits
- Improved fuel economy. Through the use of Shell’s most advanced technology, Shell Rotella T6 oil offers enhanced fuel economy2 that can help to save money on fuel consumption without compromising engine protection or durability.
- Improved wear performance. Shell Rotella T6 provides a significantly increased level of protection against harmful engine wear when compared with previous generation API CI-4+ engine oils.
2Compared with, for example, 15W-40 oils
- Improved deposit control. Advanced multifunctional dispersant additives in combination with synthetic base oils mean that Shell Rotella T6 provides enhanced protection against the effects of soot, dirt and other contaminants.
- Emissions system compatibility. Shell Rotella T6 has an advanced low-ash formulation that helps to control blocking or poisoning of exhaust aftertreatment devices, thereby helping to maintain vehicle emission compliance and engine fuel efficiency.
- Protection in extreme climates. Shell Rotella T6 is based on free-flowing synthetic base oils that enable reliable pumping on start-up under cold conditions yet remain thick enough under hightemperature operation to protect against wear.
- Outstanding shear stability. Shell Rotella T6 resists viscosity loss through shearing and helps to maintain optimal oil pressure in the engine.
Specification and approvals
|Hydraulic systems||Shell Tellus|
|Industrial greases||Shell Gadus|