Privacy Notice - Motorists- Single Sign On (‘SSO’)
Information for individuals who are or were a retail customer, member of a Shell loyalty program, visitor to a Shell website and/or user of a Shell digital application.
What does this privacy notice cover?
This privacy notice provides information regarding the processing of your personal data when using services and/or purchasing products, directly or indirectly, from a company or companies within the Shell group of companies in the United States of America (“Shell” or “we”) whether as:
- a retail customer;
- a member of a Shell loyalty program (like Club Smart, Shell Driver’s Club or Go+ (“Shell Loyalty Programme”);
- a visitor to a Shell website (“Website” or “Shell Website”); and/or
- a user of the Shell Application or other Shell applications (“Shell Apps”).
If you choose to create a user account, a personal profile will be created for you to use and navigate across these Shell services (‘Single Sign On’). Together with this notice, supplementary notices may contain further information to reflect local practices and applicable legal requirements and contains further contact details regarding the processing of personal data by Shell.
This privacy notice explains what personal data is processed, for which purposes, how long we hold the personal data for, how to access and update your personal data, the options you have regarding your personal data and where to go for further information.
Special Notice – if you are under 16 years old. Processing childrens’ personal data
Shell does not intentionally collect personal data of those under 16 years’ old. If you are under 16 years’ old please do not send us your personal data (for example, your name, address and email address). If you are under 16 years’ old and you wish to ask a question or use the Shell Website and/or a Shell App in anyway which requires you to submit your personal data please get your parent or guardian to do so on your behalf. Your local Privacy Statement may contain more detailed information about the age limit for using certain Shell services.
What personal data do we process? Collection of information
Personal data is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual. We collect information, including personal data about you, as a Shell customer, user of Shell Apps and/or visitor to a Shell website. This information may be either:
- Information that you provide to us – when creating a Shell account profile, we will ask for your name, e-mail address, username (if applicable) and password, and gender (so that we can address you properly but you do not have to provide us with this information), your contact preferences and information necessary for answering any security questions. If you decide to become a member of a Shell loyalty program, a user of Shell Apps, Shell Drive services or our mobile payments, we may ask you to provide further personal data necessary for the performance of such services and/or authentication such as type of vehicle, information on your driving preferences, date of birth (if collected), communications preferences and mobile number.
- Information that we obtain through your use of Shell services - we will also collect information about how and where you use or purchase Shell services and products. Such information may include electronic device information, IP addresses, log information, browser type and preferences, location information, online identifiers to enable ‘cookies’ and similar technologies. Your purchase history includes data regarding (i) specific products you buy, (ii) the total amount of your purchases per transaction, (iii) the time and place of the purchases you make and (iv) the payment method you use, including payment methods embedded in the App (such as mobile payment option) and information on the type of credit card used and only for purposes related to the processing of the payment, credit and/or debit card number.
- If you are a member of Shell Loyalty Programme and/or Shell Drive - we will collect information about your participation in these programs - this includes data regarding (i) the type and description of the award you have chosen, (ii) the awards you have chosen, (iii) the amount of points you have redeemed, (iv) the frequency and time of redemption of your points and (v) delivery method used to deliver your award (if any). If you are a user of Shell Drive we will collect your recorded journeys, including your vehicle co-ordinates, speed and acceleration, comparing this against other users (if you have consented to the collection of such information , including your location).
Legal bases for processing your personal data
The personal data covered by this privacy notice is processed:
- with your explicit consent; or
- where it is necessary to conclude a transaction with you (such as payment information); or
- where it is necessary for Shell to comply with a legal obligation.
- for legitimate interests of Shell, such as for purposes of detecting and investigating faud and/or resposnding to security threats
Where the processing is based on consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. This will not affect the validity of the processing prior to the withdrawal of consent. Where you choose not to provide us with information set out above for the purposes of using a Shell App or participating in the Shell Loyalty Programme the only consequence is that it will affect your ability to fully interact with the Shell App and/or to participate in the Shell Loyalty Programme.
Who is responsible for any personal data collected?
Shell Oil Company, a Delaware corporation having offices at 150 N. Dairy Ashford, Houston, Texas, 77079, USA is responsible for processing your personal data on behalf of itself and relevant Shell affiliates within the Shell group of companies.
For what purposes do we process your personal data?
We process your personal data for the purposes of:
- providing you the products and services that you requested;
- maintaining and promoting contact and our relationship with you;
- sending administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies;
- account management including account verification (that is, ensuring that only you or someone you have authorized can access your account and information);
- customer service and development;
- performance and analysis of market surveys and marketing strategies;
- promotions and contests offered to Shell customers, including offering you digital rewards to recognise you as a valued customer;
- detecting or preventing fraud if you use a mobile payment function to purchase Shell products (if available in your market);
- data analysis, for example, understanding which products and services are of most interest to our users; and
- audits, to verify that our internal processes function as intended and are compliant with legal, regulatory or contractual requirements.
Communication and marketing – my choices
Consistent with your choices, you may receive offers that are tailored towards your preferences based on your use of Shell services, your purchase history, your participation in promotions, surveys, the Shell Loyalty programme and your use of Shell websites, Apps and other digital channels as well as other data that you have provided to Shell.
As a member of our Shell Loyalty Program, in order to participate in benefits from the Shell Loyalty Program that are tailored towards your personal preferences we analyze your participation in the Shell Loyalty Program, use of Shell services, your purchase history, your participation in promotions, surveys and your use of Shell websites, Apps and other digital channels as well as any other data that you have provided to Shell.
We may send service updates and notifications to existing users of Shell Apps or other services when such updates and/or notifications are necessary for the proper functioning of the Shell Apps or other services.
You may receive pertinent offers and communications by different channels and you may update your subscription preferences via your Single Sign On account settings anytime or use the unsubscribe functionality for the different digital channels.
Transaction security and preventing, detecting and investigating fraud
When you use a mobile payment App to purchase Shell products (if available in your market), you may be asked to provide additional personal details to complete the transaction. We may use the personal data you provide to prevent, detect and investigate fraud and to enforce the terms and conditions of the mobile payment App.
We may share some information with the service providers involved in mobile payments (such as PayPal), including but not limited to your IP address, device ID or unique identifier, loyalty card number for the purposes detailed above as well as for the purposes of collecting points, device type, geo-location information, connection information (for e.g. wi-fi) and mobile network information.
We may process the information that you have provided to Shell as well as the information that we obtain through your use of Shell products and services to offer you digital awards and rewards to recognise you as our valued customer. Such electronic badges may be assigned to users of Shell Apps as with regard to their use of the Shell Apps, purchasing history, expressed interests in Shell products and services and use of Shell Drive.
You can choose to opt-out from such communication by opting-out from the Badges functionality through the settings in the Shell Apps.
We aim to keep our information as accurate as possible. If you would like to request to access, correct, or delete your personal data, or request that the processing of your data be restricted, please go to your Shell account profile to make such update or please send your request via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 800-731-8888. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law.
Who can I contact if I have a query, concern or complaint?
If you have any issues, queries or complaints regarding the processing of your personal data, please contact us at email@example.com. You may also contact the Shell Group Chief Privacy Office at Shell International B.V. The Hague, The Netherlands - Trade Register No. 27155369 Correspondence: PO Box 162, 2501 AN, The Hague at privacy-office-SI@shell.com.
If you are unsatisfied with the handling of your personal data by Shell then you can lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority or with the Dutch Data Protection Authority as the lead supervisory authority for the Shell group of companies whose address is Prins Clauslaan 60, 2595 AJ The Hague, Netherlands. Please visit https://autoriteitpersoonsgegevens.nl/en for more information.
Cookies and similar technologies
Information collected by cookies and similar technologies does not reveal your specific identity or relate to an identifiable individual. It is therefore not personal data. If we are required to treat this information as personal data, then we may use and disclose it for the purposes for which we use and disclose personal data as detailed in this Privacy Notice.
From time to time we may collect personal information about a user’s online activities over time and across third-party websites on the Internet, subject to your preferences and web browser “do not track” choices.
Security of your personal information
We have implemented technology and policies with the objective of protecting your personal data from unauthorised access and improper use. In particular, we may use encryption for some of our services, we apply authentication and verification process for access to Shell services and we regularly test, assess and evaluate the effectiveness of our security measures. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Who can I contact if I have a query, concern or complaint?” section above.
Who will you share my personal data with?
Your personal data may be shared:
- With other companies within the Shell group of companies;
- With your consent, with authorized third party companies in co-operation with Shell that may supply products and/or services to users of Shell Apps and Shell Loyalty Programme
- With authorized service providers involved in mobile payments (such as Chase Pay, PayPal, Apple Wallet or Android Pay)
- With authorised agents, licensees, professional advisors, service providers and/or subcontractors of Shell;
- With a competent public authority, government, law enforcement, regulatory or fiscal agency with jurisdiction over the relevant Shell company/companies, or as permitted by relevant state and/or federal law;
- As necessary or appropriate to enforce our terms and conditions, and to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and
- With any person to whom Shell proposes to transfer any of its rights and/or duties; including in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock.
Transfers of personal data
Where the personal data has been transferred to companies within the Shell Group and/or to authorized third parties located outside of the United States of America we take organizational, contractual and legal measures to ensure that your personal data is exclusively processed for the purposes mentioned above and that adequate levels of protection have been implemented to safeguard your personal data. These measures include Binding Corporate Rules for transfers among the Shell Group. You can find a copy of these at www.shell.com/privacy.html.
If you communicate with us through social media
How long we retain your data
We retain personal data for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained and consistent with applicable law. Personal data processed by Shell in line with this Privacy Notice will be deleted or rendered anonymous (such that it will no longer be possible to identify you);
- without undue delay upon you requesting that your Shell account profile is deleted or request to discontinue your participation in the Shell Loyalty Programme; OR
- within 3 years for all subscribed services after our last interaction with you;.
In relation to financial transactions (including that made through a Shell App), your personal data will be held for 10 years from the transaction.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be changed over time. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Notice on https://www.shell.us/. This Privacy Notice was last updated on 1 September 2018.