No purchase or payment is necessary to enter or win. A purchase or payment will not improve your chances of winning. Internet access is required. Void where prohibited by law.
The “Heroes of Houston” Wall promotion (“Promotion”) is open to individuals (“Nominator”) who wish to recognize an individual (“Nominee”) for the Nominee’s help to others in need during and after the devastation of Hurricane Harvey (“Hurricane Harvey”). Each Nominator must be 18 years of age or older at the time of entry, and be a legal resident of, and residing within, Texas or Louisiana.
Each Nominee must be 18 years of age or older at the time of entry, and be a living legal resident of, and residing within, Texas or Louisiana. Individuals may not nominate themselves. Potential Winners (defined below) will be randomly selected for the “Heroes of Houston” Wall from verified Submissions.
Employees of participating advertising and promotion agencies, including but not limited to those entities involved in the preparation of materials for, administration and/or execution of this Promotion and their immediate family members (spouse, siblings, children and parents including step-relations) and/or those living in the same household of such employees (whether or not related) are ineligible to participate in this Promotion.
The Promotion is to nominate individuals for the “Heroes of Houston” Wall. Nominations will be accepted from 12:00 a.m. (midnight) Central Time (“CT”) on March 19, 2018 until 11:59:59 p.m. CT on April 16, 2018 (“Promotion Period”). Nominees must accept their nominations, and such acceptance must be received by Sponsor no later than 11:59:59 p.m. CT on April 23, 2018 (“Nominee Acceptance End Time and Date”). Sponsor’s computer will be the official timekeeping device of the Promotion. The Sponsor is not responsible for late, incomplete, or misdirected nominations.
This Promotion is subject to all applicable, federal, state and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited, taxed, or restricted by law.
Sponsor may terminate, rescind, or modify the Promotion at any time without notice.
How To Nominate
To enter the Promotion, Nominators must go to www.shell.us/heroes and fill out the online application form (“Submission” or “Entry”). Free internet access is available at most public libraries.
Limit five (5) Entries per person. Nominees may be nominated by more than one person.
All Submissions must meet the following guidelines:
- Submissions must contain the Nominator’s name, email address, state of residence and confirmation that the Nominator is 18 years of age or older at the time of entry;
- Submissions must contain the Nominee’s name, email address, state of residence and confirmation that the Nominee is 18 years of age or older at the time of entry;
- Submissions must contain a brief description of the Nominee’s actions during and after Hurricane Harvey that should be honored by inclusion on the “Heroes of Houston” Wall (in no more than 1,250 characters);
- Nominator must confirm that all information contained in the Submission is true and valid;
- Submissions must be made in the spirit of the Promotion and may not contain inappropriate language, as determined in the Sponsor’s, or its authorized representative’s, sole discretion.
By entering the Promotion, Nominators agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor and its authorized representative, which are final and binding in all matters concerning this Promotion.
Standards of Content:
- In the event that the specified information is not provided, the entry will be considered incomplete and therefore invalid.
- Any information about the nominations cannot be:
- Violent, negative or/and discriminative of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional, sexuality or age group, profane or obscene;
- Promote or be about the use of illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons, any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous, or any political agenda or message;
- Be offensive or be about hate;
- Defame, misrepresent or contain negative remarks about Sponsor or its products, or other people, products or companies;
- Contain trademarks not owned by the Nominee or the Nominator or advertise or promote any brand or product of any kind, without permission,
- Contain any personal identification, such as license plate numbers or street addresses;
- Contain materials embodying the names, likenesses, photographs, or other indicia identifying any person, other than the Nominees, without permission;
- Communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which Sponsor wishes to associate;
- Depict, and cannot itself be in, violation of any law.
Any inappropriate or offensive material may be reported to the appropriate authorities.
Submissions not submitted in accordance with these Official Rules are void. Any attempt by any Nominator to obtain more than the five permitted entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, cheating or fraud, through a promotion club or similar entity, or any other unauthorized methods will void the Nominator’s submission(s), and Nominator and Nominee will be disqualified from the Promotion. Mass submissions or submissions generated by an automated program, bot, script, robotic, macro and/or use of any other devices are prohibited and will result in disqualification.
Proof of submission of any Entry is not proof of receipt by Sponsor. Only eligible submissions actually received by Sponsor during the Promotion Period will be eligible for the Promotion. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of a Nominator in the Promotion, the Entry will be deemed completed by the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter in the Promotion.
The Nominator may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned to an email address by an Internet service provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. All entries will be deemed to have been made by the authorized account holder.
Nominee Process, Random Drawing And Confirmation Process
Between March 26 and April 23, 2018, Nominees will be contacted by Sponsor or its authorized representative via the email address provided in the Submission to notify them that they have been nominated. Nominees will then be required to complete their submission in line with the requirements of Clause 4. If the Nominee elects not to participate they can reject the nomination and unsubscribe. Following a successful submission, Nominees are subject to determination of eligibility and verification by Sponsor or its authorized representative, whose decisions are final. A potential winner (“Potential Winner”) is a Nominee whose Submission adheres to the requirements of Clause 4 and has successfully passed the verification process. Prior to being declared a Winner (defined below), Potential Winners will be entered into a binding random selection. On or about April 23rd, 2018 at or about 03.00 a.m. CT, in the United Kingdom, the Sponsor’s authorized representative will randomly select a maximum of 400 Winners from all Potential Winners, whose eligible entries are submitted and received in accordance with these Official Rules.
Nominees are contacted because a Nominator has identified them through the Submission process in Clause 3. Nominees will receive a confirmation email to confirm they consent to participate in the “Heroes of Houston” Wall Promotion, and will complete the requirements set forth in the link in the notification email. More details of the notification and confirmation process are included below.
- Nominees must confirm the following:
- All the content and information contained in the Entry or Entries under which the Nominee was nominated is true and correct (includes email content);
- They consent for the content and information to be used as part of the Promotion;
- They have no criminal record and will consent to a background check;
- They are over the age of 18 years of age at the time of entry;
- They have read and accept these Official Rules; and
- They confirm that they are legal residents of, and residing within, Texas or Louisiana.
- Nominees have the option to give further information about their actions during Hurricane Harvey (in no more than 5,000 characters). The decision to complete or not complete this section about their actions will not impact the Nominee’s chances of becoming a Potential Winner and will be entered into the random selection process regardless of whether they have or have not completed it.
- Nominees may waive the right to accept the Prize, or must be able to accept the Prize, as awarded, or not at all.
- Each Nominee must upload a “head and shoulders” photograph - an image in jpeg format, minimum size 2MB and maximum size 10 MB. For best results, it is recommended the image conform to the following criteria:
- The head must face the camera directly with full face in view;
- Pose with a natural happy facial expression, with both eyes open;
- Any caps or hats and clothing must be neutral and not branded with trademarks, tradenames, logos, slogans, etc.;
- Photo should be no more than 12 months old, except in exceptional circumstances;
- The background of the image should be a plain color;
- The photograph should be in color;
- No sunglasses.
Each Nominee must have full rights to use (and to grant Sponsor the right to use) any photographs submitted. Photographs may not be the protected work of another party. Inappropriate or offensive photographs will result in disqualification of the Nominee.
By participating in this Promotion, Potential Winners agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor and its authorized representative, which are final and binding in all matters concerning this Promotion.
All accepted nominations received and verified by the Nominee Acceptance End Time and Date will be put forward for random selection for the Wall of Heroes. The allocation will be selected via an independently verified random program from all valid entries.
All Nominees will be contacted following the selection process to confirm whether or not their Nomination image will appear on the Wall of Heroes.
The Sponsor or its authorized representatives shall not be responsible for failed attempts to notify the Nominee, and no responsibility is assumed by the Sponsor or its authorized representatives for any correspondence returned as undeliverable or any other problems associated with the attempt(s) to notify a Nominee.
After determination of eligibility and verification by Sponsor, or its authorized representative, which may include, but not be limited to, a background check, conducting additional checks using information available in the public domain or social media links which can be optionally provided upon entry and execution of Required Paperwork within the time period specified by Sponsor, a Potential Winner will become a confirmed winner (“Winner”).
All Submissions and related information and materials provided by participants become the sole property of Sponsor, which may reprint or otherwise exploit such Submissions, information and materials in any manner, in any media in perpetuity.
Winners (and Nominators, when applicable) authorize the Released Parties (defined below) to use their persona, name, biographical information, entry materials, opinions, voice, photograph and/or likeness for advertising and promotional purposes in all media now known or hereinafter developed throughout the world in perpetuity, without additional compensation, review, notification or permission, unless prohibited by law. Sponsor is not obligated to use any of the above-mentioned information or materials, but may do so and may edit such information or material, at Sponsor’s sole discretion, without additional obligation or compensation.
Prize, Approximate Retail Value, and Odds of Winning
- The name and photograph of all Winners will be displayed on the “Heroes of Houston” Wall (“Prize”). The “Heroes of Houston” Wall display will be located within the Houston area in mid-May 2018. Specific details of the location, date and time the Wall display will be live will be communicated to the Winners at the time that they are informed that they are a Winner. A digital version of the “Heroes of Houston” Wall will be featured on www.shell.us/heroes.
- The Prize has no retail value.
- Odds of winning the Prize depend on the total number of eligible Submissions received during the Promotion Period.
- The Prize does not include any other item or cost, fee, and other expense not specified in these Official Rules, and any such expenses are the sole responsibility of the Winner.
- The Prize will be awarded to each Winner pursuant to a revocable, nontransferable license that is personal to such Winner, and may not be sold, resold, auctioned, bartered, assigned, exchanged, placed in commerce, transferred, given away, donated or otherwise conveyed. The Prize cannot be exchanged or redeemed for cash. No assignment, transfer, or substitution of the Prize, in whole or in part, is permitted, except that Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute the Prize, or a portion thereof.
Limitations of Liability / Internet
Released parties (defined below) are not responsible for late, lost, misdirected, incomplete, delayed, stolen, invalid, unintelligible, technically corrupted, garbled or illegible entries, which will be disqualified, or for any typographical, human or other error in the printing of promotion communications and/or collateral advertising materials, administration of the promotion, processing of submissions, selection of a potential winner, or in the announcement of the confirmed prize winners or in any other materials or information associated with the promotion. In no event will more prizes be awarded than are stated in these official rules. If, through printing or production error, or for any other reason whatsoever, more prizes are claimed than intended and/or set forth in these official rules, sponsor reserves the right to award the prize by random drawing from all eligible claimants for the prize. Only 400 prizes as set forth in these official rules will be awarded. Additionally, released parties are not responsible for errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of promotion materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software, telephone or other communications, incompatibility, malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive information by sponsor on account of technical problems, lost or unavailable network connections, telephone connections, wireless device connections or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, human error, or any combination thereof. If for any reason the promotion, or any element thereof, is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, cheating, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes, technological or otherwise, which corrupt, disrupt or otherwise affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this promotion, sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion, but not obligation, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend any and all aspects of the promotion, and proceed in a manner it deems fair, reasonable and in keeping with the intent of the promotion, including selection of the potential winners from among all eligible submissions received prior to such cancellation, termination, modification, extension or suspension. Sponsor further reserves the right to disqualify any individual it suspects, in its sole and absolute discretion, to be tampering with the operation of the promotion. Caution: any attempt by any individual to undermine the legitimate operation of the promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws and, should such an attempt be made, sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from and seek prosecution of any such individual to the fullest extent of the law.
In no event will released parties be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind, including indirect, incidental, consequential, or punitive damages arising out of this promotion, including any damages arising out of any participant’s access to and use of the website www.shell.us/heroes or the downloading from and/or printing of material downloaded from the website. Some jurisdictions may not allow the limitations or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages or exclusion of implied warranties. Check your local laws for any restrictions or limitations regarding these limitations or exclusions.
Indemnification / Release
Participants agree, by entering, participating and/or accepting the prize, to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless sponsor, and its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, web development companies, advertising agencies, (and their parents, subsidiaries and affiliates), promotion agencies, prize suppliers, and any other persons or entities participating in the design, administration or fulfillment of this promotion and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively “released parties”) from and against any and all liability for any threatened or actual injuries, loss, costs, settlements (whether or not litigation is commenced), or damages of any kind to any person, including death or disability, and property, arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in this promotion or acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of the prize, participation in any promotion - related activity whether hosted by sponsor or a third party or inability to participate in parts thereof including, without limitation, claims, suits, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light (whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory, and whether or not caused in whole or in part by the negligence of one or more of the released parties. Individuals covenant not to sue any released party or cause them to be sued regarding any matter released above; and further covenant not to disaffirm, limit or rescind this release. A waiver by the released parties of any term in these official rules does not constitute a waiver of any other provision.
Governing Law; Disputes
By entering or participating in the Promotion, each Nominator, Nominee, Potential Winner and/or Winner agrees that: (i) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion, the Prize, or any portion thereof, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court in Houston, Texas; and (ii) in addition to the limitations of liability set forth in these Official Rules, any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering or participating in this Promotion, but in no event attorneys’ fees. Except where prohibited by law, all issues concerning the construction, validity and enforcement of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the participants and Sponsor, shall be construed and governed by the laws of the State of Texas, without regard to conflicts of law rules.
Posting Terms and Privacy
The name and photograph of the Winners will be displayed on the “Heroes of Houston” Wall and posted online at www.shell.us/heroes.
Shell Oil Company, 150 N. Dairy Ashford, Houston, TX 77079.
Abbreviated Official Rules:
No purchase necessary. Restrictions apply. Open to legal residents of Texas and Louisiana, 18 years+. Make nominations for the “Heroes of Houston” Wall from 03/19/2018 to 04/16/2018. Internet access required. To enter and for full details, go to www.shell.us/heroes. Random drawing. Void where prohibited.