The Power of Shell
The World’s Largest Single Branded Retail Business
Shell is the world’s largest single branded retail business and is the preferred brand of millions of customers across the globe. There are over 45,000 Shell branded service stations in more than 90 countries.
The #1 Fuels Retailer in the U.S.2
With a network of more than 13,000 stations across all 50 states, serving 8 million customers a day1, Shell awaits you with an iconic brand image, quality fuels, one of the largest credit card bases in the country, and the Fuel Rewards® loyalty program to help drive you more business.
The Consumer’s Brand of Choice
#1 in brand preference2, #1 in brand share3, #1 in premium brand share3 (Shell V-Power® NiTRO+) and #1 in high quality fuels perception2!
Our Best Fuel Ever
At Shell, we know that not all fuels are the same, which is why we develop innovative fuel formulations that help clean and protect our customers’ engines. Our industry-leading3 premium gasoline, Shell V-Power® NiTRO+, is our most advanced fuel ever and is engineered with four levels of defense against gunk, wear, corrosion and friction to help keep your engine running like new.5 This patented formula is available only at Shell.
The Best Loyalty Program
23+ million Fuel Rewards® members1, nationally who, on average buy4 4X more fuel, 3X more premium gasoline and 2X more inside the c-store.
The Best Marketing
Shell invests millions of dollars annually on retail marketing, advertising and promotion.
1. Source: 2019 Shell U.S. transaction data.
2. Source: U.S. GRT, National, MAT Q4’19–Q3’20, Total Fuels Missions.
3. Source: The NPD Group/Motor Fuels Index; Total U.S.; 12ME December 2020.
4. Source: Fuel Rewards® member purchases and savings are compared to those of non-members based on 2019 U.S. transactional data.
5. In engines that continuously use Shell V-Power® NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline.
A New Business Opportunity
The Multi Site Operation
- Run your business with one of the world’s leading brands and operate multiple existing Shell retail facilities grouped together in a similar geography
- Typical cluster size = 3 sites but can range from 1-5 sites depending on availability, market, performance, etc..
- Shell’s new retail business opportunity provides many benefits to a potential Business Operator
- Shell’s proven operating system and turnkey business model including:
- Supply chain with nationally negotiated prices
- Loyalty program
- Marketing program
- Comprehensive convenience store offer with the Shell Select® program
- No franchise fee
- No capital assets to acquire
- Strong fuels and exceptional Convenience Retail offering
- Minimal investment with strong return-on-investment potential
- Major maintenance & repair, utilities, property taxes and credit card processing fees paid by Shell
- A complete Retailer training program
- Business support by a world-class team including a direct relationship with a Shell Territory Manager
The Cluster Retailer
Maximize your potential
Review the Cluster Retailer requirements to help make a successful match!
- The investment required averages $175,000 liquid assets per location and includes:
- Ownership of convenience store inventory
- Operating capital
- Security deposit
- Your business investment will depend on the number of sites in the Cluster and vary based on site characteristics such as size location
- Minimum of three (3) years of Retail and/or Restaurant Management experience with P&L responsibility of stores with over $1 million/year in revenue
- Multi-unit experience required for Retail C-store operators
- Multi-unit experience required for other Retail or Restaurant operators of stores with annual revenues between $1 million and $1.5 million
- Single unit experience for other Retail or Restaurant operators of stores with annual revenues over $1.5 million
- Experience managing and developing hourly wage employees (10+)
Potential Retailer Business Profile
- Business owner lives in the “market” where stores are located (within 1 ½ hours of majority of stores)
- Passionate about Customer Service
- Committed to safety at all levels
- Match with Shell’s Mission, Values, Strategy and Philosophy.
- Has the vision and passion to drive growth
- Demonstrated ability to execute programs within guidelines and strives to exceed the standards
- Strong capacity to interpret financial statements
- Comfortable with technologies
- Proficient in English language and demonstrate effective communication skills
- U.S. Citizen or Green card with minimum of three (3) years remaining
Deliver a consistent Customer Value Proposition every day
- As a Cluster Retailer with Shell, your business is an independent company that manages the business and all related aspects.
- You will bring your skills, business experience, enthusiasm and commitment. Shell supplies the service stations, the fuel, a proven global operating model, a comprehensive Retailer Training program, and ongoing support. In short, we will strive to grow the business!
- As an independent Retailer, your business will:
- Receive a commission on all fuel sales, a commission on all car wash sales and the profit from all convenience store sales.
- Pay agreed convenience store royalties to Shell based on the sales of convenience store products.
- Deliver the Customer Value Proposition as established by Shell.
- Own the store inventory and set your own prices. Shell will define the national product range which you need to carry, and you have option to select the local product range.
- Employ and manage your own staff.
- Your business earnings potential will depend on several factors including performance against targets, cost management, and size & location of the stores in the Cluster.