Owner Relations

Welcome to Shell Trading (US) Company’s Owner Relations online system. Shell Trading US Company’s Owner Relations and Division Order departments offer a wide variety of services to both our operators and royalty owners. One of the primary services is that as a first purchaser we disburse funds to royalty owners on behalf of our contracted party operators. Our Owner Relations department is committed to providing a high level of customer service and the most accurate information available to us. We will make every effort to thoroughly research all inquiries and provide responses in a professional and timely manner.

Inquiry Portal

Owner FAQs

General Terms

What is a Division Order?

A Division Order is a document confirming ownership information in a particular property/unit, and authorizing distribution of funds according to that information. The Division Order does NOT represent a sale of your property or any changes to your lease.

When you sign and return the Division Order, you confirm that you agree with the information disclosed in the document. If you have any questions regarding the content of your Division Order, please contact STUSCO Owner Relations.

How can I request a new Division Order?

In order to request a copy of a Division Order, contact Owner Relations using any of the methods shown on the “Contact Us” tab above.

Please provide us with the name, owner number, specific lease(s), and how you would like us to send you the Division Order.

What is an Owner Number?

You have been assigned a unique six-digit owner number for your account. Please include your owner number in all communications with Shell Trading US Company (STUSCO), including voicemails, e-mail, letters, and faxes. Your owner number is printed on all division orders and checks we send you.

Ownership Information and Changes/Transfers

How do I notify Shell Trading of a Change of Address?

Complete a Change of Address (COA) form, located in the “Important Forms” tab above. Fill out the form completely, and have all persons on the account sign and date.


Submit a signed letter via mail, e-mail, or fax, with the following information:

  • Owner Name
  • Owner Number, if known
  • Last four digits of owner’s social security number / EIN
  • Old address
  • New address
  • Phone number and e-mail, if applicable

Send us the change of address using any of the methods shown on the “Contact Us” tab above.

What documentation is required for a name change?

Individual. Provide one of the following:

  • Copy of marriage certificate
  • Copy of divorce decree reinstating maiden name
  • Other official documents affecting a name change

Company. Provide one of the following:

  • Certificate of Name Change with verification of Tax ID number to be used
  • Certificate of Merger with verification of Tax ID number to be used

Full Ownership Change Requirements PDF

What do I need to do provide to change ownership?

The types of documents that can change ownership on a real property account include (but are not limited to): a deed, title, a court order or a death certificate. In some cases, there may be a need to file more than one type of document to complete the process. The transfer documents must be recorded (filed) in the county where the minerals are located.

If you have any questions about the preparation or filing of a document, you may want to consult with an attorney, real estate professional, or title company.

What do I need to do if the owner is now deceased?

The requirements of ownership transfer due to death vary by state, and are dependent on whether or not the deceased had a Last Will and Testament. You may want to contact an attorney to advise you on how to proceed.

What information is needed when there is a change in Trustee?

Provide Owner Relations with a copy of the applicable portion of the Trust document that identifies the Successor Trustee, the duties and powers of the Trustee, and the circumstances leading to the replacement of the Trustee. Also submit a change of address if needed.

What happens when the owner having a life estate dies?

The interest is transferred to the remaindermen. A copy of the death certificate and the deed noting the life estate should be submitted to Owner Relations. The mailing addresses and Tax ID numbers for the remaindermen are also needed.

I sent my transfer documentation in. How long will it take to hear back?

The amount of time it takes to complete a transfer depends on the complexity of the issue. Transfer requests are processed in the order in which they are received. Contact Owner Relations for further information or to check on the status of a request.

How do I add someone to my account?

Provide Owner Relations with a copy of the conveyance document establishing joint tenancy / ownership. The document must be recorded (filed) in the county/state where the minerals reside.

Payment Information

When are royalty checks issued?

Checks are typically issued and mailed on or about the 20th of every month. This is also when direct deposit payments are sent. If the 20th falls on a weekend or holiday, we will strive to issue checks on the preceding business day. Oil revenue is normally paid within 30 – 60 days following the sales / production month.

What is the minimum payment amount?

An owner must accumulate a minimum balance in their account of $100 in order for a payment to be issued. The owner can submit a written request to be paid monthly for accumulations below $100. Note that we have an annual release every September, where we release funds in all accounts that have a balance of at least $5.

Why does my monthly payment amount vary?

Many factors may cause your payment to vary, including but not limited to market conditions, suspended payments, adjustments (including any overpayments or underpayments), fluctuating commodity prices, regulatory or contractual changes, production volumes, seasonal conditions, and routine maintenance or operating issues that may affect the volumes produced from a well during a given time period.

Why does my payment differ from others in my family?

This can occur because ownership among family members may not be equal. Family members may be on a different payment schedule. A family member may not have provided STUSCO with the required information needed to pay them, such as tax ID number. Some family members may own interest in other properties in addition to those commonly owned. Some family members may have older funds that are being reissued, such as from stale-dated checks, retuned/undeliverable checks, and address changes.

What should I do if I don’t receive my revenue check?

Due to potential postal delays, a revenue check may arrive a few days late on occasion. If you have not received a check by the end of the month, and you are expecting one, please contact Owner Relations. We also offer direct deposit, which ensures timely, secure payments with no risk of mail delays or issues.

Can a check that’s older than 180 days still be cashed?

No. Uncashed checks will be void / invalid after 180 days of issuance. Do not attempt to cash or deposit checks past this date, or your bank may charge you a fee. Please contact Owner Relations to have a replacement check issued.

What should I do if I have questions about my check detail?

Please contact Owner Relations using any of the methods shown on the “Contact Us” tab above.

When and why are royalty payments suspended?

Royalty payments may be suspended (or held in suspense) until certain conditions are satisfied. Payments may be suspended for several reasons, including but not limited to the following:

  • Missing Tax ID number (SSN/EIN)
  • Insufficient or incorrect address
  • Assigning/conveying interest to another party
  • Notice of death of an owner
  • Disputes on decimal interest percentages
  • Operator requests

Also, please remember that payments are only issued when the account balance reaches $100 or greater. Refer to the “What is the minimum payment amount” FAQ above for more information.

What options are available for receiving payment and payment details?

  • Direct Deposit/ACH (Automatic Clearing House)
  • Wire Transfer
  • Checks

Click on the “Payment Information” tab above for more details.

Online access to mycrude website to view payment details?

To access your check/direct deposit payment detail revenue statements online, you can use our new mycrude website. Go to https://mycrude.shell.com to log on. If you don’t have a login for mycrude, or if you’re having trouble logging in, please go to the “Contact Us” tab to let us know so we can assist you.

Your username for mycrude is your email address. Because some users may be responsible for multiple owner accounts with us, your email address can be associated with more than one owner number/operator number, so that when you log in to mycrude, you can view data for all of those accounts in one place.

Once you are logged in to mycrude, click the “Documents” tab on the left-hand navigation panel to view payment details. The screen defaults to displaying any payments we made to you in the current month. If you want to view payments we made to you in the previous month, click the “Prev Month” button towards the top of the screen. To view all payments made to you so far this year, click the “Year” button. To view payments we made to you last year, click “Prev Year.” Finally, to view payments made to you during a specific date range of your choosing, click “Custom,” and then enter the desired date range in the field to the right. Then click the “Search” button.

If no data displays after you click the month / year / date range buttons and then “Search,” that means we didn’t make any payments to you in that timeframe.

If your mycrude account has multiple owner/operator numbers associated with it, then data for all of those associated owners/operators are displayed. You may want to sort or filter the information shown on this screen by the “ID” or “Name” columns.

To view the details from any of the individual statements shown on the screen, click anywhere on the row. The check stub/payment detail will display in a popup window, which can be downloaded to a PDF or CSV file. To view the data from multiple statements at the same time, click the checkboxes to the left of the rows you want to view, then click the “Download CSV” button. This will pull the data from the selected rows into an Excel spreadsheet file, where you can format it to your liking.

The default setting for all mycrude users is to have mycrude send you an automatic email notification every time you have a new payment detail / operator run statement available. If you wish to turn off these automated emails, click the “Settings” tab on the left-hand navigation panel, then click the “on” button once. It will change to “off.”

How do I read my check stub?

The line item detail on your check stub is broken down into sections by lease. Each of these sections shows the lease #, lease name, lease county, and lease state across the top of the section. The line items under each lease heading are for the individual production month purchases that Shell Trading Company made on that lease. It shows the total volume that Shell purchased, as well as the price per barrel, the owner’s decimal interest percentage, taxes withheld, and the net payment to the owner for each line item on the far right side, among other details.

What should I do if my check is lost, stolen, or stale-dated?

First, please confirm that we sent you a check that month. To do so, log in to your mycrude account at https://mycrude.shell.com. (If you don’t have a login for mycrude, or if you’re having trouble logging in, please go to the “Contact Us” tab to let us know so we can assist you.) After you log in:

  • Click the “Documents” tab on the left-hand navigation panel.
  • Click the “Custom” button towards the top of the screen.
  • In the date range field to the right of the “Custom” button, change the dates to the month/year you were expecting a check from us in.
  • Click the “Search” button.
  • View the data to see if a check was issued. If no data displays, then we did not issue you a check during that date range.

If a check was issued, and you never received it, or if you did receive it but it was then lost or damaged or stolen, please go to the “Contact Us” tab and let us know. Similarly, if you did receive the check, but did not cash it within six months of the check issue date, and the check is now void / stale-dated, please go to the “Contact Us” tab and let us know. We may have already reissued the check to you on one of your later checks, but we will confirm and reissue the funds to you if not.

How can I get my year-to-date (YTD) payment details?

Log in to your mycrude account and click on the “Documents” tab on the left-hand side. Then click the “Year” button towards the top of the screen. This will show you a summary list of all payments we’ve made to you in the current calendar year. Note that if you have multiple owner accounts associated with your mycrude login, you may need to filter the information shown on this screen by the ID or Name columns. If you’d like to view a spreadsheet of data from all of the payments for the year that are shown on the screen, click the checkboxes to the left of the rows to select them all, then click “Download CSV” to display the data in a spreadsheet, where it can be viewed, formatted, and totaled.

Can my check stub be emailed to multiple email addresses?

Yes, however you will need multiple user accounts set up in mycrude for this to occur. Because your mycrude login is associated with your unique e-mail address, we will need to create additional mycrude accounts for each additional e-mail address you want the payment details sent to. If you need for us to create a mycrude account, please let us know on the “Contact Us” tab.

Tax and Levy Information

When are 1099 Misc. Tax Forms mailed out?

Your 1099 Miscellaneous Tax forms will be mailed no later than Jan. 31. If the 31st falls on Saturday or Sunday, the IRS allows for mailing the following Monday.

Why is my 1099 more than what I received?

The 1099 shows the gross amount before taxes and other deductions as required by the IRS. In order to help you reconcile this gross amount to the total of your actual payments received, we include a reconciliation on the back of your 1099 showing the gross amount, taxes and deducts and the net amount. The net amount should tie to your total payments received for the year. If you have questions as to how this information should be presented on your tax return, please contact a tax professional.

Why is my NET more than my GROSS amount?

Net can sometimes be more than the gross due to reimbursement of Severance Tax or other adjustments. In this case, you will notice a negative tax amount on the reconciliation on the back of your 1099 form.

Unclaimed Property

What to do if I receive an unclaimed property letter?

At a minimum, please return the 2nd page of this letter to us to prevent your funds from being released to the state by the provided deadline. You may submit other required documentation at a later time if you have already returned the letter.

Where can I research unclaimed property?

Each state makes an effort to locate rightful owners of production revenues, holding the funds until the owner is found. To locate and collect unclaimed funds, please visit the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrator's (NAUPA) website.

Here is the link to a website for Unclaimed Property: www.missingmoney.com

How is unclaimed property reported?

Each state has abandoned property or escheat laws that require the reporting of funds held for its residents. Once abandoned property has reached the state's required dormancy period, it is paid to the state of the owner's last known address.

Privacy Notice

Click here to view our Privacy Notice: https://www.shell.com/privacy/b2b-notice.html

Payment Information

Enrolling in Direct Deposit and Accessing Paperless Statements

If your account is not set up for direct deposit (ACH or Wire Transfer), we will issue you checks in the mail. You can request direct deposit payments or remove direct deposit at any time. The following forms are required to set up your account for electronic payments:

Viewing Payment Information Online

You can log in to our mycrude website at https://mycrude.shell.com to view all of your past and present payment details from us, at any time. This can be helpful if you’re set up for direct deposit payments from us and want to view the details of those payments, or if you believe you’re missing a payment from us. If you don’t have a login for mycrude, or if you’re having trouble logging in or viewing the data, please go to the “Contact Us” tab to let us know so we can assist you. More information on the mycrude website can be found on the Owner FAQs tab.

Ownership Change Requirements

Please Review All Information Thoroughly

Shell Trading (US) Company Ownership Change Requirements

The following information is provided as a guideline to mineral owners who need to make changes related to their interests in order to continue receiving payments. This document does not cover all potential transactions, and Shell Trading (US) Company (“STUSCO”) reserves the right to require additional or alternate documentation at its discretion. If you have questions regarding any transaction or desired change to your account, please direct your questions to STUSCO’s Division Order Department, whose contact information can be found below.


A written request is required for all changes to your account. Account changes will not be made based upon telephone conversations. All documents should be sent to the address found below.

Current mailing address and Tax ID or Social Security numbers must be provided for all new owners. All payees are required to provide a SSN (social security number) or TIN (tax identification number).

Upon receipt of the required documentation, amended division orders may be issued for new owners to sign and return.

Please note the following general guidance for documents submitted to STUSCO:

  • All documents provided to STUSCO must be copies and clearly legible as to all parts of the document, including dates, names, and other details.
  • Any agreement executed by a person acting as an agent, attorney-in-fact, guardian, or any other fiduciary capacity must be accompanied by a copy of the appropriate authority document for that person, such as Power of Attorney, Letter of Guardianship, or other form of Agency Agreement.
  • STUSCO will not accept un-recorded real property documents such as assignments, deeds, and affidavit of heirship forms, etc., as a form of updating change in ownership. If STUSCO receives un-recorded documents, no changes will be made to the primary account until recorded copies are received by STUSCO.
    • Recorded deeds are required to transfer royalty and mineral interests; while recorded assignments are required to transfer overriding and working interests.
    • All conveyances must be recorded in all counties or parishes where the property(ies) being transferred are located.
    • All conveyances must contain the correct legal description of the property(ies) being transferred.
    • All conveyances provided to STUSCO must contain a legible registry number or volume and page number indicating the place of recordation.
  • For any actions taken by a guardian of a minor child or person, provide a copy of the document appointing the guardian along with a copy of the court order authorizing the sale of the property (further restrictions or requirements may apply to transactions involving minors).
  • Any transfer being made to or by a trust must be accompanied by a copy of the pertinent parts of the Trust Agreement. The pertinent parts of the agreement should show the execution of the agreement as well as the authority of the trustee to undertake the actions at hand.
Situation A Copy of the Following Documentation is Required
Add someone to my account Copy of a recorded conveyance document establishing joint tenancy/ownership. All signatures must be signed in the presence of and acknowledged by a Notary Public.
Address or Bank Change Submit change request in writing with your signature and last 4 digits of your social security or tax identification number.
Notification of Death of an Owner Written notification of death. STUSCO will place royalties in suspense upon receipt of this notice. (Please provide notice as soon as possible.)
Individual Name Change Copy of Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree reinstating maiden name, or other document affecting name change along with a notation of your owner number (a revised W–9 Form will also need to be submitted).
Company or Corporation Name Change Copy of Certificate of Name Change including Tax ID (a revised W–9 Form will also need to be submitted).
Change of Social Security Number or Tax ID Please re-submit a revised W–9 Form. (For changes affecting ownership, additional documentation may be required.)
Sale of an Interest (Conveyance) Copy of a recorded conveyance document. All signatures must be signed in the presence of and acknowledged by a Notary Public.
Ownership Change due to Divorce Copy of complete Divorce Decree including settlement agreement and copy of recorded conveyance documents covering the property (unless otherwise covered by specific state laws).
Ownership by Trusts or Partnerships Copy of Trust agreement; Copy of Partnership Agreement; Pertinent Trust pages (signature pages, memo of trust, certificate of trust); Recorded document conveying the interest in property to the Trust or Partnership.
Distribution from Trusts or Partnerships Copy of Dissolution of Trust or Partnership (if applicable); Recorded conveyance documents to beneficiaries.
Changes in Trustee Copy of Instrument appointing successor trustee; Death Certificate of original Trustee (if applicable).

Estate Proceedings

Note: Some states will not accept recordation of foreign probate; In this case, copies of ancillary probate proceedings should be submitted to that state and copy of the ancillary probate proceedings should be provided to STUSCO (Ancillary probate refers to a probate proceeding that is required in addition to the primary probate proceeding that will take place in your home state. Typically ancillary probate will be necessary because you own a piece of real estate that is located outside of your home state).

Situation A Copy of the Following Documentation is Required
Owner died with a Will (testate). Probate proceedings conducted in the state where the property is located Copy of Death Certificate; Order Admitting Will to Probate; Letters Testamentary; Last Will and Testament; Texas - Evidence of payment of debts and taxes Final Decree of Distribution or Louisiana - Judgment of Possession
Owner died with a Will (testate). Probate proceedings conducted in a state other than the state where the property is located

Copy of Death Certificate; Order Admitting Will to Probate; Letters Testamentary; Last Will and Testament; Documentation of ancillary probate proceedings (where applicable), or an Affidavit of Heirship.

Note: An Affidavit of Heirship does not transfer title.

Owner died (no will)

Copy of Death Certificate; Affidavit of Heirship (completed by a non-heir and filed of record in the county/ parish which the property is located).

Note: An Affidavit of Heirship does not transfer title.

Change in a Joint Tenancy (JTWROS) Copy of Death Certificate of joint tenant. (If title is held by joint tenants with rights of survivorship or as tenants by the entirety, only a death certificate is required to transfer title to the survivor.)

**Please Do Not Send Original Documents (Copies Only Please). Originals Will Not Be Returned**

All documents and questions should be sent to:

Shell Trading (US) Company (STUSCO)
Division Order Department
P.O. Box 4604
Houston, Texas 77210-4604
Phone: 800 992-8470
Fax: (281) 667-3522
Web Request Submissions: www.shell.us/leaserequestportal

Laws of agency preclude us from providing forms for conveying real property interests. However, you may contact an attorney, Legal Aid Society, or the local Bar Association for assistance in handling these matters.

Updated 12/6/2019

Contact Us

Owner Relations Contact Information

Mailing Address:

Shell Trading US Company (STUSCO)
Attn: Owner Relations
P.O. Box 4604
Houston, TX 77210

Attn: Owner Relations

Main Numbers:

Owner Relations Phone: 1-800 992-8470
Owner Relations Fax: (281) -667-3522
Internet: Shell Trading (US) Company- Lease Administration

Web portal form: www.shell.us/inquiryportal

Mycrude website for viewing owner payment details/operator run statements: https://mycrude.shell.com

More in Business Customers

Shell Trading (US) Company

A corporation that acts as the single market interface for Royal Dutch Shell companies and affiliates in the United States

You may also be interested in

Careers at Shell

Discover the impact you could make with a career at Shell.