Owner Relations

Welcome to Shell Trading (US) Company’s Owner Relations online system. Shell Trading US Company’s Owner Relations and Division Order departments offer a wide variety of services to both our operators and royalty owners. One of the primary services is that as a first purchaser we disburse funds to royalty owners on behalf of our contracted party operators. Our Owner Relations department is committed to providing a high level of customer service and the most accurate information available to us. We will make every effort to thoroughly research all inquiries and provide responses in a professional and timely manner.

Inquiry Portal

Owner FAQs

General Terms

What is an Authorization Document?

An Authorization Document is a document confirming ownership information in a particular property/unit and authorizing distribution of funds according to that information. The Authorization Document does NOT represent a sale of your property or any changes to your lease.

When you sign and return the Authorization Document, you confirm that you agree with the information disclosed in the document. If you have any questions regarding the content of your Authorization Document, please contact STUSCO Owner Relations.

How can I request a new Authorization Document?

In order to request a copy of a new Authorization Document, contact STUSCO Owner Relations via

one of the following:
Call us at 1-800-992-8470

Fax to 281-667-3522

Provide us with the name, owner number, specific lease(s), and how you would like to receive the new Authorization Document.

Ownership Information and Changes/Transfer
What is an Owner Number?

You have been assigned a unique six-digit owner number for your account. Please include your owner number in all communications with Shell Trading (US) Company (STUSCO), including in all voicemail messages and in the subject line of any email correspondence.

How do I notify Shell Trading of my change of address?

  1. Complete a Change of Address form (link to be added) located in the forms section. Fill it out completely and have all persons listed on the account sign and date.
  2. Submit a signed letter via mail, email or fax with the following information:
    Owner Number
    Social Security Number or Tax ID Number
    Old address
    New Address
    Phone Number

Fax to (281)-667-3522 or mail to our Houston address listed on the COA form, Attn: Owner Relations. For additional questions, please call 800-992-8470.

What documentation is required for a name change?


Copy of marriage certificate
Divorce decree reinstating maiden name
Other documents affecting a name change


Certificate of Name Change with verification of Tax ID to be used
Certificate of Merger with verification of Tax ID to be used

What do I need to change ownership?

The types of documents that can change ownership on a real property account include (but are not limited to): a deed, title, a court order or a death certificate. In some cases, there may be a need to file more than one type of document to complete the process. The documents must be recorded in the county where the minerals are located.

If you have any questions about the preparation or filing of a document, you may want to consult with an attorney, real estate professional or title company.

What do I need to do if the owner is now deceased?

The requirements of ownership transfer due to death vary by state and are dependent on whether or not the deceased had a Last Will and Testament. You may want to contact an attorney to advise you how to proceed.

What information is needed when there is a change in Trustee?

Provide Owner Relations with a copy of the applicable portion of the Trust document that identifies the successor Trustee, the duties and the powers of the Trustee, and the circumstances leading to the replacement of the Trustee. Complete and submit a Change of Address form if needed.

What happens when the owner having a life estate dies?

Interest is transferred to the remaindermen. The death certificate and a copy of the deed noting the life estate should be submitted to Land Administration. The remaindermen addresses and tax identification number(s) are required as well.

I sent my transfer documentation in. How long will it take to hear back?

The amount of time that it takes to complete a transfer depends on the complexity of the issue. Contact owner relations for further information.

How do I add someone to my account?

Provide STUSCO owner relations with a copy of the conveyance document establishing joint tenancy/ownership that has been recorded in the county and state where the minerals reside.

Payment Information

When are royalty checks issued?

Checks are issued and mailed on or about the 20th and/or the last day of each month. If either of these days falls on the weekend or holiday, STUSCO will strive to issue checks on the preceding business day. Direct deposits are generally made within 2 business days after the royalty checks are issued. Oil revenue is normally paid within 30-60 days following the sales month. 

What is minimum payment amount?

An owner must accumulate a minimum balance in their account of $100 in order for a check to be issued. The owner can submit a written request to be paid monthly for accumulations below $100. Note that we have a Minimum Release each year in September to all accounts that have a balance of at least $5.

Why does my monthly payment amount vary?

Many factors may cause your payment to vary, including but not limited to market conditions, suspended payments, adjustments (including any overpayments or underpayments), fluctuating commodity prices, regulatory or contractual changes, production volumes, seasonal conditions and routine maintenance or operating issues which may affect the volumes produced from a well during a given time period.

Why does my payment differ from others in my family?

This can occur because ownership between family members may not be equal. Family members may be on a different payment schedule. This may occur because one party has not provided STUSCO with required information (i.e. missing tax information) or some family members may own interest in other properties in addition to those commonly owned. Other factors possibly causing variances between family member check amounts may be related to stale dated checks, returned checks and/or address changes.

What should I do if I do not receive my revenue check?

Due to potential postal delays, a revenue check may arrive a few days late on occasion. If you have not received a check by the 10th business day following the date of the check, please contact Lease Owner Relations. You may also sign up for Direct Deposit (EFT) to eliminate these kinds of delays.

Can a check 180 days or older be cashed?

Uncashed checks will be invalid after 180 days of issuance. Please contact Lease Owner Relations to have a new check issued.

What should I do if I have questions regarding my check detail?

Please contact Lease Owner Relations via phone or e-mail.

When are royalty payments suspended?

Royalty payments may be suspended (or held in suspense) until certain conditions are satisfied. Generally, royalty payments may be suspended for several reasons, including but not limited to the following: 

  • Missing Tax ID
  • Insufficient address
  • Assignment of Interest
  • Notice of death 
  • Decimal disputes
  • Operator Requests

Also, please note that revenue checks are issued only when the revenue amount due exceeds $100. Please see “What is minimum pay amount?” (link this) for more information on minimum release payments.

What options are available for receiving payment and payment details?

Direct Deposit/ACH (Automatic Clearing House)
Wire Transfer

Here is the link to the Lease Owner Relations website to obtain the ACH form & Wire Transfer instructions:

Shell Trading (US) Company- Lease Administration

*If you elect to receive Direct Deposit or Wire Transfer payments, then your revenue payment detail will no longer be mailed to you.

*Note that you will receive email notification when web-based detail is available.

How do I read my check stub?

An explanation of the payment page can be viewed by clicking the "How to read your Check Stub" link on the Owner Relations Page under Resources/Check Stubs.

What should I do if my check is lost, stolen or becomes stale-dated?

Please first confirm a check was issued by doing the following:

Login to your Owner Relations online account in Oildex

Select the Report tab

Select check date or production date

Select one or all properties

Select the property(s) YTD total

Select check date

Get Report

If after reviewing you find an issue with the check detail, please contact Lease Owner Relations.

How do I get my year-to-date (YTD) details?

Log in to your Owner Relations online account in Oildex

Select the “Report” tab

Select check date
Get Report

Can I have my Check Stub sent via email to multiple email addresses?

No. The system will only allow one email address. The person that receives the payment detail can then forward the email to others as needed.

Tax and Levy Information

When are 1099 Misc. Tax Forms mailed out?

Your 1099 Miscellaneous Tax forms will be mailed no later than Jan. 31. If the 31st falls on Saturday or Sunday, the IRS allows for mailing the following Monday.

Why is my 1099 more than what I received?

The 1099 shows the gross amount before taxes and other deductions as required by the IRS. In order to help you reconcile this gross amount to the total of your actual payments received, we include a reconciliation on the back of your 1099 showing the gross amount, taxes and deducts and the net amount. The net amount should tie to your total payments received for the year. If you have questions as to how this information should be presented on your tax return, please contact a tax professional.

Why is my NET more than my GROSS amount?

Net can sometimes be more than the gross due to reimbursement of Severance Tax or other adjustments. In this case, you will notice a negative tax amount on the reconciliation on the back of your 1099 form.

Unclaimed Property

What to do if I receive an unclaimed property letter?

At a minimum, please return the 2nd page of this letter to us to prevent your funds from being released to the state by the provided deadline. You may submit other required documentation at a later time if you have already returned the letter.

Where can I research unclaimed property?

Each state makes an effort to locate rightful owners of production revenues, holding the funds until the owner is found. To locate and collect unclaimed funds, please visit the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrator's (NAUPA) website.

Here is the link to a website for Unclaimed Property: www.missingmoney.com

How is unclaimed property reported?

Each state has abandoned property or escheat laws that require the reporting of funds held for its residents. Once abandoned property has reached the state's required dormancy period, it is paid to the state of the owner's last known address.

Online access to Oildex: first-time user?

To access your check/EFT statements online via the internet, go to www.oildex.com, click on "Owner Relations Login" and from the owner relations connect site click on “Shell Trading”. NOTE: If you are a first time user, be sure to click on First-time users: click here.

Click on View Documents and Reports: (click here to login). Log in here and it will prompt you to enter your login ID and password. 
It will then prompt you to put in your Login and Your Temp Password. If no Check/EFT has been issued to you from STUSCO, no information will be posted on the Oildex website.

Your TEMP password is normally the last 4 digits of your Tax ID/Social Security number on your account (example: SSN 123-45-6789 would be 6789). It will then prompt you to choose a permanent password you can remember. The new password must be at least seven digits long. Be sure to write your new password down and keep it in a safe place.

Note about Oildex: STUSCO subscribes to Oildex, and Oildex strives to use the last four digits of the SSN/TIN as your temporary password. After using the temporary password, you will be asked for an e-mail address and asked to create a new permanent password.

Your LOGIN is three zeros followed by your Owner Number, which is your six-digit STUSCO owner number (Example: 000123456).

STUSCO owner numbers (not the payee number) are located at the top right of your check detail. To access Oildex, you only need to put in the six digit owner number (e.g., 123456).

If you have login questions or experience problems connecting to the Oildex site, please contact the website administrator, ORMSsupport@enverus.com.

Payment Information

Set Up or Change Payment Method to Direct Deposit and Paperless Statement for Royalty Checks

If you are not set up for ACH or Wire Transfers, a system check will be generated. You can complete an Automatic Clearing House (ACH) Payment Request. (Note: For Money Market Accounts, please complete a Wire Transfer Request).

Electronic Payment Request

The following forms are required to complete your request for electronic payments:

  • W-9
  • Electronic Payment Agreement
  • Account information on bank’s letterhead (signature is required) OR account information on bank letterhead with bank representatives signature OR voided check

Incomplete and/or unsigned forms will be returned and will delay your request. Owners who elect to receive ACH payments will no longer receive paper statements in the mail. For access to payment details, please visit Oildex.


Oildex provides revenue check detail at www.oildex.com

Ownership Change Requirements

Please Review All Information Thoroughly

Shell Trading (US) Company Ownership Change Requirements

The following information is provided as a guideline to mineral owners who need to make changes related to their interests in order to continue receiving payments. This document does not cover all potential transactions, and Shell Trading (US) Company (“STUSCO”) reserves the right to require additional or alternate documentation at its discretion. If you have questions regarding any transaction or desired change to your account please direct your questions to STUSCO’s Division Order Department, whose contact information can be found below.


A written request is required for all changes to your account. Account changes will not be made based upon telephone conversations. All documents should be sent to the address found below.

Current mailing address and Tax ID or Social Security numbers must be provided for all new owners. All payees are required to provide a SSN (social security) or Tax ID (identification) number.

Upon receipt of the required documentation, amended division orders may be issued for new owners to sign and return.

Please note the following general guidance for documents submitted to STUSCO:

  • All documents provided to STUSCO must be copies and clearly legible as to all parts of the document, including dates, names, and other details.
  • Any agreement executed by a person acting as an agent, attorney-in-fact, guardian, or any other fiduciary capacity must be accompanied by a copy of the appropriate authority document for that person such as a Power of Attorney, Letter of Guardianship, or other form of Agency Agreement.
  • STUSCO will not accept un-recorded real property documents such as assignments, deeds, and affidavit of heirship forms, etc., as form of updating change in ownership. If STUSCO receives un-recorded documents, no changes will be made to the primary account until recorded copies are received by STUSCO.
    • Recorded deeds are required to transfer royalty and mineral interests; while recorded assignments are required to transfer overriding and working interests.
    • All conveyances must be recorded in all counties or parishes where the property(ies) being transferred are located.
    • All conveyances must contain the correct legal description of the property(ies) being transferred.
    • All conveyances provided to STUSCO must contain a legible registry number or volume and page number indicating the place of recordation.
  • For any actions taken by a guardian of a minor child or person, provide a copy of the document appointing the guardian along with a copy of the court order authorizing the sale of the property (further restrictions or requirements may apply to transactions involving minors).
  • Any transfer being made to or by a trust must be accompanied by a copy of the pertinent parts of the Trust Agreement. The pertinent parts of the agreement should show the execution of the agreement as well as the authority of the trustee to undertake the actions at hand.
Situation Copy of the Following Documentation Required
Add someone to my account Copy of a recorded conveyance document establishing joint tenancy/ownership. All signatures must be signed in the presence of and acknowledged by a Notary Public.
Address or Bank Change Submit change request in writing with your signature and last 4 digits of your social security or tax identification number.
Notification of Death of an Owner Written notification of death. STUSCO will place royalties in suspense upon receipt of this notice. (please provide notice as soon as possible).
Individual Name Change Copy of Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree reinstating maiden name or other document affecting name change along with a notation of your owner number (a revised W–9 Form will need to be submitted).
Company or Corporation Name Change Copy of Certificate of Name Change including Tax ID (a revised W–9 Form will need to be submitted).
Change of Social Security Number or Tax ID Please resubmit a revised W–9 Form (for changes affecting ownership, additional documentation may be required).
Sale of an Interest (Conveyance) Copy of a recorded conveyance document. All signatures must be signed in the presence of and acknowledged by a Notary Public.
Ownership Change due to Divorce Copy of complete Divorce Decree including settlement agreement and copy of recorded conveyance documents covering the property (unless otherwise covered by specific state laws).
Ownership by Trusts or Partnerships Copy of Trust agreement; Copy of Partnership Agreement; Pertinent Trust pages (sig. pages, memo of trust, certificate of trust); Recorded document conveying the interest in property to the Trust or Partnership.
Distribution from Trusts or Partnerships

Copy of Dissolution of Trust or Partnership (if applicable);

Recorded conveyance documents to beneficiaries.

Changes in Trustee Copy of Instrument appointing successor trustee; Death Certificate of original Trustee (if applicable).

Estate Proceedings

Note: Some states will not accept recordation of foreign probate; In this case, copies of ancillary probate proceedings should be submitted to that state and copy of the ancillary probate proceedings should be provided to STUSCO (Ancillary probate refers to a probate proceeding that is required in addition to the primary probate proceeding that will take place in your home state. Typically ancillary probate will be necessary because you own a piece of real estate that is located outside of your home state).

Situation Copy of the Following Documentation Required
Owner died with a Will (testate) Probate proceedings conducted in the state where the property is located  Copy of Death Certificate; Order Admitting Will to Probate; Letters Testamentary; Last Will and Testament; Texas - Evidence of payment of debts and taxes Final Decree of Distribution or Louisiana - Judgment of Possession
Owner died with a Will (testate) Probate proceedings conducted in a state other than the state where the property is located

Copy of Death Certificate; Order Admitting Will to Probate; Letters Testamentary; Last Will and Testament; Documentation of ancillary probate proceedings (where applicable), or an Affidavit of Heirship.

Note: An Affidavit of Heirship does not transfer title.

Owner died (no will)

Copy of Death Certificate; Affidavit of Heirship (completed by a non-heir and filed of record in the county/ parish which the property is located).

Note: An Affidavit of Heirship does not transfer title.

Change in a Joint Tenancy (JTWROS) Copy of Death Certificate of joint tenant (If title is held by joint tenants with rights of survivorship or as tenants by the entirety, only a death certificate is required to transfer title to the survivor).

**Please Do Not Send Original Documents (Copies Only Please) Originals Will Not Be Returned**

All documents and questions should be sent to:

Shell Trading (US) Company (STUSCO)
Division Order Department
P.O. Box 4604
Houston, Texas 77210-4604
Phone: 1-800 992-8470 Fax: (281) 667-3522

Laws of agency preclude us from providing forms for conveying real property interests. However, you may contact an attorney, Legal Aid Society, or the local Bar Association for assistance in handling these matters.

Contact Us

Owner Relations Contact Information

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 4604
Houston, TX 77210

Attn: Owner Relations

Main Numbers:

Owner Relations Phone: 1-800 992-8470
Owner Relations Fax: (281) -667-3522
Internet: Shell Trading (US) Company- Lease Administration

More in Business Customers

Shell Trading (US) Company

A corporation that acts as the single market interface for Royal Dutch Shell companies and affiliates in the United States

Environmental Solutions

Our customers must adapt to evolving market conditions, including environmental regulations and the demands of social responsibility.

You may also be interested in


Discover the impact you could make with a career at Shell.

Deep Water 101

Shell is a major contributor of innovations that continue to shape the deep water oil and gas industry