Shell supplies gas to customers in more countries than any other energy company.
Shell Energy North America is the primary marketer of Shell's natural gas production in North America. This ensures access to some of the continent’s most productive reserves, including natural gas fields in South Texas, along the Gulf Coast, in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico, and in Canada. Shell Energy North America operates in a diverse range of markets from small businesses to large scale manufacturing, public sector organizations and national retail with a focus on providing:
- Reliable supply
- Competitive and flexible solutions
- Risk management options
- Market insights
- Expert, dedicated account management
- Dedicated customer support team
Shell produces approximately 1.5 billion cubic feet (Bcf) of natural gas per day. Shell Energy North America further fortifies supply by acquiring gas from other producers, which enables our ability to sell more than 10 Bcf per day. Shell is also a prominent player in the supply of liquefied natural gas (LNG), which further diversifies Shell Energy North America’s supply network.
With more than 270 million megawatt hours (MWh) in annual power sales, Shell Energy North America and its subsidiaries rank among the major wholesale power marketers in North America.
Shell Energy North America manages more than 10,500 MW of power generation from power plants across North America, and we are a registered provider of electricity in numerous states and provinces. We offer a wide range of tailored solutions:
- Asset management / energy management agreements
- Tolling arrangements
- "Gas for Power" products
- Long-term gas supply
- Power purchases
- Tailored risk management
- ISO management
- More than 270 million MWh of power sold annually
- Approximately 10,500 MW of power generation management
- Alternative energy sources
Shell embraces its responsibility to provide energy for our customers today and in the future.
That means we must balance the basic need for energy with the challenge of tackling climate change. With Shell Energy North America’s Environmental Solutions, we provide the tools to help achieve that balance.
Our customers must adapt to evolving market conditions, including environmental regulations and the demands of social responsibility. Shell Energy North America’s Environmental Solutions represent our commitment to help them respond to these challenges. Whether responding to regulatory mandates or pursuing the benefits of voluntary participation, Shell Energy North America can deliver tailored solutions to meet customers’ needs.
Shell Energy North America’s Environmental Solutions are characterized by five key elements of service:
Our trading professionals bring nearly a decade of experience in North American emissions markets. In addition, we are able to leverage Shell’s experience in trading international carbon markets.
We feature a dedicated marketing and trading team for environmental products. Shell Energy North America professionals are regular speakers at industry conferences and customer events, and are actively involved in policy discussions. Our goal is to shape the design of new environmental markets to ensure they are liquid, deep and transparent, which helps bring price certainty and lower transaction costs.
- Shell has set the pace in environmental products transactions:
- First to trade a carbon product usable under a US mandatory cap-and-trade program
- First to trade Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI) allowance future contract on the Chicago Climate Futures Exchange
- First to execute a transaction on European Union (EU) allowances
- First to take delivery of Certified Emission Reductions (CERs) under the Clean Development Mechanism program
4. Broad Portfolio
Our broad portfolio positions us to trade in both compliance and voluntary markets across North America. Our markets and services include:
- Renewable Energy - Structured offtake agreements with renewable power developers
- Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) - Compliance with state Renewable Portfolio Standards; RECs for the voluntary market
- Carbon Products - Allowances for regional compliance markets such as RGGI and Alberta and credits for voluntary emissions targets
- Other Emissions Markets - Regional NOx markets and Federal SO2 Acid Rain program
Shell Energy North America’s environmental products are backed by a top-tier credit rating.