Shell Energy North America – Our Customers
Shell Energy North America is an energy solution provider - providing innovative solutions for maintaining effective energy operations and profitability.
Global Reach. Local Expertise.
With a global reach supported by localized expertise, we deliver the energy that powers productivity for commercial and industrial users.
We don't just offer a product. We offer regional insight focused on customers’ specific needs and based on local or regional regulations. Whether it's flexible terms, energy risk management, pipeline capacity or transportation, we provide support throughout the cycle. We collaborate with customers to create a tailored solution - one that translates into a valuable, long-term partnership.
With production of approximately 1.5 billion cubic feet (Bcf) of natural gas per day while managing over 10,500 megawatts (MW) of power generation, Shell Energy North America is able to offer a diverse energy supply to our customers.
Innovation and environmental solutions are also key pillars of our business. We’re focused on helping customers cope with the constraints of anticipated regulations, and the complexities of carbon cap and trade programs. Backed by a rich history and diversity of national assets, our goal is long-term security and partnerships. Our marketing and trading capacities are backed by solid financial strength and a commitment to fair and ethical business practices.
Energy supply and solutions for investor-owned, municipal and cooperative electric utilities.
Investor-Owned Utilities - Investor-owned utilities can plan for profitability in a deregulated environment
- In a deregulated environment, profit requires preparation. Shell Energy North America is poised to help investor-owned utilities achieve value with a portfolio of diverse network of energy supply, marketing and trading expertise, and risk management products.
- We manage more than 10,500 megawatts (MW) of daily power generation, so we are capable of offering power supply to help customers respond to peak demands. As the exclusive marketer of Shell’s natural gas production in North America, we tap 1.5 billion cubic feet a day (Bcf/d).
- Furthermore, Shell is a leader in development of alternative sources of energy, such as wind power, hydrogen, and biofuels.
- Our marketing and trading capacities, backed by an A-/A3 credit rating, make it possible to provide energy from non-equity sources at competitive prices during critical times for our customers. Risk management professionals plan and deliver sophisticated financial tools to help businesses meet their energy budget goals.
Municipal Electric Utilities - Structured solutions to help municipal utilities meet their civic responsibilities.
- Municipal utilities are linchpins of local economies, charged with providing affordable, reliable electricity for their communities. Shell Energy North America has a proven track record of delivering complex structured solutions to helping municipal customers meet this responsibility.
- For municipalities with power generation assets, our energy professionals design and implement customized asset-management programs, including energy management agreements and tolling arrangements.
- Our trading specialists help customers leverage generation capacity, finding buyers and sellers for excess power on the open market. Shell Energy North America can pay a fee to municipal utilities to use excess capacity, or agree to manage assets on behalf of the municipality. We can also help you respond to the interests of your customers and regulatory trends.
- Management service offerings extend to power plant operations, peak power loads, transmission optimization, and reverse tolling.
Cooperative Electric Utilities - Accessible power for cooperative electric utilities.
- As consumer-owned organizations, cooperative utilities exist to provide affordable, plentiful energy for their customers. Shell Energy North America has a proven track record of delivering complex structured solutions to helping cooperatives meet this responsibility.
- For cooperatives with power generation assets, our energy professionals design and implement customized asset-management programs, including energy management agreements and tolling arrangements.
- Our trading specialists help customers leverage generation capacity, finding buyers and sellers for excess power on the open market. Shell Energy North America can pay a fee to cooperatives to use excess capacity, or agree to manage assets on behalf of the cooperative.
- Our management services encompass power plant operations, peak power loads, transmission optimization, and reverse tolling.
Retail Energy Marketers -We draw on our expertise in energy supply management to produce innovative solutions.
Retail energy companies are sales driven organizations that are frequently handcuffed by capital-driven supply constraints. Shell Energy North America’s supply programs allow retailers to focus on sales, while providing them opportunities to back those transactions with energy hedge purchases at competitive prices. We provide retailers a one-stop shop, regardless of the markets they enter.
Shell Energy North America markets more than 10 billion cubic feet (Bcf) of gas each day and 270 million megawatt hours (MWh) of power annually. We also manage more than 10,500 MW of generation across North America. We offer a suite of green energy products to help retailers diversify their product mix, and beyond supply, we can also assist with scheduling services across North America.
We are active in all deregulated power and gas markets, and support a portfolio of nearly twenty successful retail energy companies. Our tailored offerings include a unique suite of flexible credit and finance solutions, along with support from risk management experts.
- Comprehensive mark-to-market coverage
- Flexible payment terms
- Platform for expansion
- Expertise with independent system operators (ISOs)
- Environmental products
Producers - Shell Energy North America and its subsidiaries are a source of commodities and confidence for independent power producers.
- Supply is fundamental for power producers that rely on natural gas to fire their generation plants. When peak power demand hits, Shell Energy North America is a source of both commodities and confidence. Our diverse network of supply includes access to Shell’s daily production of 1.5 billion cubic feet (Bcf) of natural gas in North America.
- Augmenting our own production, we have marketing and trading specialists to find energy from other producers on the open market—a capacity that allows us to sell more than 10 Bcf of natural gas each day.
- In addition to supply procurement, our energy professionals are skilled at managing pipeline transport, gas storage facilities, and storage injection and withdrawal to meet supply needs. We also can help producers assess their emissions profile, and provide guidance in the emerging carbon offset markets.
- These capabilities are enhanced by an A-/A3 credit rating, and risk management professionals to help customers achieve stable prices that meet their business goals.
Generators - As the nation’s largest combined power and gas marketer, Shell Energy North America utilizes market presence to maximize profit through reliable gas supply, strategic price hedging and expert risk management.
- From beginning to end of the generation process, Shell Energy North America delivers distinctive products and services in order to help our customers reach their financial goals. Our broad capabilities within the gas and power industries benefit generators as they receive valuable insight on load variations, market intelligence on pricing, and accurate updates on system requirements and issues.
- Shell Energy North America is capable of transporting over 10 billion cubic feet (Bcf) across our extensive North American trading network. Through asset management agreements, our trading specialists optimize the use of our customers’ existing fuel supply and transportation contracts while ensuring all daily operational fuel needs are met. Our energy professionals structure energy management agreements and tolling arrangements for customers to capitalize on their full generation capacity.
- As generators look to maximize sales through efficient energy production, Shell Energy North America offers the advanced technology needed to monitor and manage intra-day fluctuations, ensuring our gas supply matches each plant’s real time burn rates.
- Additionally, we minimize costs by means of active trading in order to capture movement in the value of electricity and natural gas. Our trading network provides the platform for hedging market price and managing risk, ensuring customer profitability and long-term success.
- From straightforward day-ahead index based gas and power transactions to complex multi-year fixed price and structured deals, Shell Energy North America is able to assist customers in meeting their overall business objectives.
more in Trading
Shell Energy North America helps customers with a variety of energy products, services and solutions including Natural Gas, Power, and Environmental.