Health, Safety, Security and Environment
Norco pledges to maintain a safe working environment with compliance to local, regional and national regulations. Systems are in place to sustain, safe, healthy, and environmentally sound working conditions.
The Norco Manufacturing Complex was formally certified by an independent auditor and successfully transitioned to the new international ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management Systems standard.
A commitment to protect the community, employees and the environment is a primary consideration and concern in every Norco process. No responsibility or task is recognized as completed unless precautions, procedures, and rules of safe operations have been followed. Norco pledges to maintain a safe working environment with compliance to local, regional and national regulations. Systems are in place to sustain, safe, healthy, and environmentally sound working conditions.
Norco is an active participant in the American Chemistry Council Association’s Responsible Care® initiative designed to improve the industry’s health, safety and environmental performance and public awareness of industry efforts. In addition, the site follows American Petroleum Institute Guidelines for the responsible handling, marketing, transporting and disposal of product materials.
Since 2003, the Norco site has participated in community air monitoring, a state-of-the-art community-based air monitoring system, approved by the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality. Air samples are taken at regular intervals from strategically placed air monitors in the Norco community, analyzed, and compared with government air standards and measured levels with similar data from elsewhere in Louisiana and other states.
Norco has responded to the need for heightened security with a variety of measures and programs designed to protect its employees, the surrounding community, and its assets. Site security meets the United States Department of Homeland Security guidelines and regulations.
- ISO Certifications achieved for lower olefins (1993), butadiene, MEK (1995) and High Purity Resins (1996)
- Environmental Management System (2003)
- Governor's Lantern Award, Distinguished Partner Award, NPRA (National Petrochemical and Refiners Association) Safety Awards, Governor's Awards for Environmental Excellence, Civic Star Award, US EPA National Partnership for Environmental Priorities Achievement
- The Norco Manufacturing Complex was awarded the Gulf Coast Safety Council’s Outstanding Owner Safety Performance Award for 2014.
- Participation in Louisiana Chemical Association Safe Program
- 2015 Shell Global Reliability Award
- AFPM Safety Achievement Award 2015 and 2016
- GC Safety Council Owner Award in 2014 and 2015
- 2016 Shell Executive Vice President Award for Personal Safety
- 2016 American Chemistry Council Responsible Care Facility Safety Award