Family, Values, History
Over Forty Years of Growth and Progress
The Royal Dutch/Shell Group (the "Shell Group") is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with functions in more than 100 countries and territories. Our aim is to meet the energy needs of society, in ways that are economically, socially and environmentally viable, now and into the future.
Shell Chemicals - With major manufacturing facilities around the world, the companies that make up Shell Chemicals rank among the world's largest petrochemical operations. We focus on the production of bulk petrochemicals and their delivery to large industrial customers who, in turn, use them to make many of the essential materials of our modern world.
Shell Chemical LP -The Shell Group’s chemical business operations in the U.S. are performed through Shell Chemical LP, which is one of nearly 70 companies engaged in chemicals businesses for the Shell Group.
Shell Chemicals Geismar - Because the name Shell Chemicals refers to the group of chemical businesses within the Shell Group, we use Shell Chemicals Geismar to refer to the Geismar Chemical Plant in Ascension Parish, Louisiana. The community of Geismar is located approximately four miles from the Shell Chemicals Geismar Plant.
We at Shell Geismar take great pride in being a major economic engine for the community in which we operate, one that helps keep Ascension Parish growing and prospering. But being a good neighbor means more than just running a safe and profitable manufacturing plant. We also strive to improve the quality of life in our community. We play an active role in our education system, and our employees devote many hours to community service, always ready to help those in need. That’s an important reason why we count our people as our most valuable asset.
To be recognized by industry as a premier chemicals site because of our safety achievement, respect for people and environment, customer satisfaction and profitability.
Shell Geismar: Growing Our People, Our Business, Our Legacy.
Family, People, Can-do attitude, Teamwork, Trust, Ownership, Opportunity, Common purpose
- Attain Goal Zero, no harm and no leaks
- Make quality products from Shell ethylene that meet customer needs
- Engage and encourage all employees to develop to their full potential
- Deliver exceptional operational availability
- Grow our business by doing the right projects and doing the projects right
- Realize a commercial mindset that maximizes profits
Plants and Products
Approaching Half a Century of Growth and Progress
The Shell Chemicals Geismar manufacturing facility is located on the east bank of the Mississippi River, 20 miles downriver from Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
On January 18, 1965 Shell announced the purchase of the Geismar site. The original site was about 700 acres and was formerly part of Ashland - Belle Helene Plantation. By mid-1966, the construction was in full swing. Offices were moved to the plant site in February, 1967 from a leased location at 721 Government Street in Baton Rouge.
The Shell Geismar facility manufactures Detergent Alcohols, Ethylene Glycol, Alpha Olefins, and a diversified line of ethylene based industrial chemicals used in a wide range of modern applications.
The Shell Geismar Plant site currently contains approximately 800 acres of which only 400 acres are developed. The site has 530 employees and a varying number of contractors. We take great pride in the fact that our PEOPLE are our most valuable asset and SAFETY is our number ONE product.
Alpha olefins are used to make high-performance synthetic lubricants, biodegradable detergents, drilling fluids, and as co-monomers to make stronger, lighter polyethylene film.
Ethylene Glycols are used to make soft drink bottles and containers. Also used to produce polyester fibers which aid in the production of clothing, upholstery, carpet, pillows, and surgical supplies. Some ethylene glycol is used in the production of antifreeze and heat transfer fluids.
HSSE & SP Commitment
Our team is rigorously trained and highly professional. We strive to:
- Pursue the goal of no harm to people;
- Protect the environment and strive to prevent pollution;
- Use material and energy efficiently to provide our products and services;
- Respect our neighbors and contribute to the community in which we operate;
- Develop energy resources, products and services consistent with these aims;
- Publicly report on our performance;
- Play a leading role in promoting best practices in our industries;
- Manage HSSE & SP matters as any other critical business activity;
- Meet applicable HSSE laws, regulations, and other requirements; and
- Promote a culture in which Shell employees share this commitment.
- Achieve HSSE & SP performance we can be proud of, to earn the confidence of customers, shareholders and society at large, and to be a good corporate neighbor.
- Fosters a systematic approach to HSSE & SP management designed to ensure compliance with the law and to achieve continuous performance improvement;
- Sets targets for improvement and measures, appraises and reports performance;
- Requires contractors to manage HSSE & SP in line with this policy;
- Requires joint ventures under its operational control to apply this policy, and uses its influence to promote it in its other ventures;
- Engages effectively with neighbors and impacted communities; and
- Includes HSSE & SP performance in the appraisal of staff and rewards accordingly.