Main content | back to top
How I FRN FAQ
Frequently asked questions about Fuel Rewards Network How I FRN Contest.
1. What is the How I FRN Contest?
The How I FRN Contest is a contest that invites consumers to submit a photograph or video via Instagram or Twitter that represents the individual’s experience with the FRN program. Weekly Winners will be chosen by judges for Shell and a Grand Prize Winner, First Runner-Up and Second Runner-Up will be announced at the end of the six-week contest.
2. When does How I FRN take place?
How I FRN will take place January 30 through March 13, 2014
3. Why is Shell hosting the How I FRN Contest?
Shell is hosting the How I FRN Contest in order to encourage FRN Members to take full advantage of the savings opportunities available through the FRN program.
4. How does one enter the How I FRN Contest?
To enter, simply upload a photo or video to Instagram or Twitter that represents your experience with the FRN program. To be eligible for a prize, each entry must be tagged with the official How I FRN hashtag: #HowIFRN. Each entry must also be accompanied by a brief caption describing how you use or plan to use the FRN program to save and be posted to a public account.
5. Do I have to already be an FRN Member to participate?
No, you do not have to be an existing member to participate. Anyone is welcome to submit entries.
6. How is the winner of How I FRN chosen?
Judges for Shell will choose six weekly prize winners based on the following criteria:
- 30% adherence to entry requirements
- 20% creativity of photo or video
- 30% demonstrate basic understanding of how the program works
- 20% demonstrate specific ways rewards were earned (or plan to be earned)
From the pool of six weekly prize winners judges for Shell will identify a Grand Prize Winner, First Runner-Up and Second Runner-Up.
7. What is the prize for each category?
The Grand Prize Winner will receive Free Fuel For a Year*. The First Runner-Up will receive $1,000 in Shell and FRN Gift Cards. The Second Runner-Up will receive $500 in Shell and FRN Gift Cards. Each weekly prize winner will receive one $250 Shell and FRN Gift Card.
*For the purposes of this Prize, “a year’s worth of Shell V-Power Premium Gasoline®” is calculated as the average consumer’s yearly gasoline consumption of 636 gallons (4.5 fuel purchases per month x 11.77 gallons of gasoline per purchase x 12 months) at an average January 22, 2014 cost of $3.283/ gallon consistent with the Oil Price Information Services national average released on January 22, 2014 (636 x $3.283 = $2,087.22). The prize has been rounded up to $2,100.00.
8. Are FRN Members allowed to submit more than one entry for the contest?
Yes, FRN Members are allowed to submit as many entries as they would like on both Twitter and Instagram.
9. Will submitting an identical entry on both platforms help or hurt an individual’s chances of winning?
There is no need to submit identical entries on both platforms; it will neither help nor hurt an individual’s chances of winning.
10. When will the winners be notified?
Weekly prize winners will be notified via comment or direct message within five days of being selected as a winner. The Grand Prize Winner, First Runner-Up and Second Runner-Up will be notified via phone and email by March 28, 2014.
11. Is there any limit to the type of content that can be included in an entry?
All content submitted must be owned by the individual submitting the entry. Entry content must not be offensive or inappropriate in any way or it will be flagged to the corresponding social media platform to be removed.
12. Who is eligible to enter the How I FRN Contest?
The Contest is open only to legal residents of the United States and the District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older as of January 30, 2014, 8:00:00 am (EST) or the age of majority in the contestants’ state of residence, whichever is older. The contest is void in New Jersey, Puerto Rico and where prohibited by law.
Employees, directors, officers and retirees of the Contest Sponsor, and their immediate family members (spouse, parents, children, siblings, and their respective spouses) and respective household members are not eligible to enter. Respective affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, wholesalers, retailers, advertising and promotional agencies of the Contest Sponsor are not eligible to enter.
13. Will my submission be published anywhere other than my social media platform?
All Entrants acknowledge and agree that by entering the Contest, information and photos are submitted on a non-confidential and non-proprietary basis and may be used by the Contest Sponsor, its affiliates and agents, including but not limited to advertising, recruiting, and promotional purposes except where prohibited by law.
Select stories and photos may be chosen for use in promotional materials. The use of such entries will not affect the Entrant’s
FRN Program General Q&A
1. What is the FRN program?
The Fuel Rewards Network™ program, or FRN™ program, is a free-to-join rewards program that allows consumers to earn rewards on everyday purchases that can be redeemed for fuel savings at participating Shell stations nationwide.
2. What makes the FRN program unique from other rewards programs?
The FRN program is unique because the rewards you earn are stackable, and there is no limit to the amount of rewards you can earn for fuel savings.
3. How does one sign up for the FRN program?
Consumers can join the FRN program and get their FREE FRN Card by following these easy steps:
- Visit fuelrewards.com and click “Sign Up.”
- Enter your information.
- Select “I have a card” and then “FRN Card” if you already picked up an FRN Card at a participating Shell station, or select “I need a card” to request one to be mailed to you.
- Enter your card number and card PIN (if you already have a card). Follow the steps to complete online enrollment.
You can also sign up for the FRN program and request or activate your FRN Card by downloading the FRN Mobile App for iPhone or Android.
4. How does one earn rewards through the FRN program?
To earn rewards, FRN Members can take advantage of any of the following ways to save through the FRN program:
- Shop Online: Access nearly 700 brand name online merchants offering at least 5 cents per gallon for every $50 you spend. Some may offer 2x, 5x, 10x rewards or more to multiply savings!
- Dine Out: Link a payment card to the Dining program and earn 10 cents per gallon for every $50 you spend at participating restaurants.
- Buy Groceries: Scan your local participating grocery store’s rewards card at checkout and earn 5¢/gal for every $50 you spend on qualifying purchases.
- Link your local participating grocery store’s rewards card to your FRN Account to combine rewards earned at your local participating grocery store with all other rewards earned through the Fuel Rewards Network™ program for bigger savings at the pump.
- Get eCoupons: Select eCoupons at fuelrewards.com and earn Fuel Rewards savings when the eCoupons items are subsequently purchased at local participating grocery and drug stores.
- Shop at Shell: Purchase specially marked products inside the convenience store as well as car washes or auto services at participating Shell stations to earn Fuel Rewards savings through the Shell® Fuel Rewards® program
5. How does one redeem rewards through the FRN program?
FRN Members can redeem rewards through the FRN program by visiting any participating Shell station nationwide. Find the nearest local participating Shell station by visiting fuelrewards.com. When you are at the pump, you’ll insert your FRN Card or participating grocer’s reward card first to lower your price.
After you follow the relevant prompts, insert your payment method and dispense up to a maximum of 20 gallons of fuel per purchase, per vehicle. If you’d like to pay inside, hand the cashier your rewards card before you attempt to fill up so that they can lower the price at the pump for you.