Main content | back to top
Ten Questions About Shell Diesel FiT
Shell Diesel FiT is an advanced diesel fuel which provides three way protection against injector deposit build-up and fuel system corrosion and wear to help keep diesel engines performing as designed.
1. Can you explain the formulation used in this fuel?
With continuous use, the exclusive Shell Diesel FiT formula provides the following benefits:
- Carbon Deposit Build-Up: Fuel injectors deposits can reduce combustion efficiency, which can increase fuel consumption. The exclusive Shell Diesel FiT formula protects against deposit build-up to help maintain proper injector fuel flow and spray pattern and provide designed power and performance.
- Anti-Corrosion: Use of diesel meeting minimum government quality standards can result in corrosion of vital engine parts such as the fuel pump. Shell Diesel FiT contains enhanced corrosion inhibitors to help prevent fuel system corrosion to protect your investment.
- Anti-Wear: Shell Diesel FiT is formulated to help provide additional anti-wear protection for your diesel engine exceeding minimum government quality standards to help protect your investment.
- Anti-Gelling: In severe winter conditions, diesel meeting minimum government standards can “gel” that can result in the inability to start the vehicle or reduce diesel engine performance. During winter, in select cold weather markets, Shell Diesel FiT contains anti-gelling agents for enhanced cold weather performance. Look for the "Special winterized anti-gel formula" label on the dispenser.
- Water Management: Shell Diesel FiT is specially formulated to separate water from fuel and assist in water removal from fuel storage tanks to help provide consumers with dry fuel.
- Heavy-Duty Truck Fuel Economy & CO2 Savings: Based on extensive tests, Shell Diesel FiT achieved a 1.3% mpg saving for heavy-duty trucks in long-haul service and an impressive 4.8% mpg saving for heavy duty trucks in more severe stop and go city conditions, compared to regular diesel meeting only minimum government standards.2
2. Does this formulation include the patented "nitrogen-enriched" chemistry?
No. Shell Diesel FiT is a unique formulation based on a cleaning agent specifically designed for diesel to help prevent the build-up of carbon deposits on fuel injectors.
3. Where is this fuel being offered?
Shell Diesel FiT is currently being offered at approximately 65 Shell branded stations in the Waco-Temple-Killeen, Texas area and approximately 100 locations in the Seattle, Washington market. Plans for expanding this offering will be assessed at the conclusion of our market test.
4. How can customers in these areas find out where to buy Shell Diesel FiT?
Participating Shell branded stations in Waco-Temple-Killeen area and Seattle areas have signage and point-of-purchase materials displayed to indicate that Shell Diesel FiT is available at that site. Motorists may also download our Shell Motorist app, visit www.shell.us/dieselfit or call Shell Customer Care at (888) 467-4355 for a list of participating sites in those areas.
5. Have you tested the fuel economy benefits of Shell Diesel FiT on light-duty diesel vehicles?
To date, our fuel economy measurement efforts have been focused on the heavy-duty truck sector, which is the largest consumer of diesel fuel in the U.S. market. After reviewing product acceptance in the market trials, an assessment will be performed to determine whether to invest in additional fuel economy measurement tests for the light-duty diesel vehicle segment.
6. What is the fuel economy claim for Shell Diesel FiT based on?
Fuel economy claims were based on tests focused on assessing fuel economy benefits using Shell Diesel FiT in commercial heavy duty trucks under “real-world” driving conditions. Shell Diesel FiT was tested in a variety of heavy-duty trucks (makes/models) over 2 million on-highway miles.
Testing spanned different services (i.e. city and line-haul) and loads as well as different terrain and seasonal (i.e. winter/summer) conditions. Specific details of our trial protocol and test results are confidential and proprietary information.
7. What sort of cost savings can fleet customers expect through continued use of Shell Diesel FiT?
Estimated city service savings is equivalent to reducing your fuel costs by 18 cents/gallon at a diesel price of $3.90/gallon(1). For a typical truck in city service travelling 50,000 miles per year at 6 mpg this can equate to an annual saving of up to $1500 per truck!(2)
8. How long will it take before fleet customers see reduced fuel consumption?
Shell Diesel FiT is designed to provide benefits through continual use. The heavy-duty fleets using Shell Diesel FiT demonstrated lower fuel consumption after approximately 30,000 miles of continual use. This is about three-to-four months of use assuming 8000 - 10,000 miles/month driven. Individual results may vary. (2)
9. Is Shell Diesel FiT a premium diesel?
No, Shell Diesel FiT is an enhanced, differentiated, ultra low sulfur diesel fuel that meets industry standard ASTM D975 diesel fuel specifications.
10. Is the exclusive Shell Diesel FiT advanced cleaning system compatible with renewable diesel fuels?
Shell Diesel FiT is designed to be fully compatible with the industry standard D975 diesel fuel specification which both petroleum based and biodiesel blended fuels (up to 5% biodiesel blend) must meet.
(1) Based on US EIA monthly retail diesel on-highway prices as of – June 1, 2014.
(2) Fuel economy benefits can be impacted by many factors including, but not limited to, engine maintenance and driver habits. Individual results may vary.