Main content | back to top
Are You Green?
Answer each of the following questions honestly and record your answers. At the end of the quiz, add up your answers to determine how green you are!
- When you are not using your computer, you:
- Let it run on a power saving mode like standby. It’s quicker to turn back on that way.
- Close out of all of your programs and shut it down. You don’t need it while you’re not home.
- Keep it on so that you can finish your download. It’s almost done!
- Run it with only an instant messenger open; your friends need to see what you’re doing.
- While you are brushing your teeth, you:
- Turn the water off between wetting your toothbrush and spitting. You’re not using it.
- Let the water run. You’ll be quick.
- Start the water for your shower. You want it to be the right temperature by the time you’re finished.
- When you are not in a room, you:
- Leave a light on. You don’t want the next person in there to trip in the dark.
- Leave a trail of lights through every room you’ve been in. It’s more convenient than backtracking to shut them all off.
- Turn all of the lights off. You don’t need to see what you’re not using.
- While you are at school, you:
- Turn the air conditioning off. You don’t need it during the day.
- Leave a window open to let your room stay cool while you’re away.
- Run the air conditioning and the fans so that it’s the right temperature when you get home.
- When your parents ask you to help with the dishes, you:
- Wash them by hand in the sink. It takes longer, but you don’t mind.
- Put them in the dishwasher and start it right away. You need to get back to your computer.
- While you are not watching TV, you:
- Grab a snack during the commercials, but let the TV run so that you can hear when the commercial break is over.
- Leave the TV on in the other room while you work on homework or talk to your friends. You like the background noise.
- Turn it off, but leave the cable box and your DVR on so that you can record your favorite shows.
- Turn off the TV and everything plugged into it.
- You plug your cell phone into the wall charger:
- Every night. It’s your alarm clock.
- Only every three days or so… Your phone has a long battery life.
- While you’re texting. You don’t want it to die on you.
- Never. You only charge your phone from your parents’ car.
 A. 2, B. 1, C. 5, D. 4  A. 1, B. 3, C. 5  A. 3, B. 5, C. 1  A. 1, B. 3, C. 5  A. 1, B. 5  A. 4, B. 5, C. 3, D. 1  A. 5 B. 1, C. 2, D. 4
If you scored…
7 – 15 points
16 – 24 points
25 – 35 points
You are a Star Saver!
You are Energy Aware!
You are a Power Hog!
You care a lot about your environment and do what you can to protect it. You know that the smallest changes make the biggest differences, and you don’t hesitate to take a few extra minutes out of your day to conserve energy. Way to go!
You realize that some of what you do may be wasteful, and make a conscious effort – sometimes – to save a little energy. Sometimes, though, you just have to choose time efficiency over energy efficiency. Work on spending less energy on things you are not using, and don’t be afraid to slow down a bit! You’re on your way to being a smart energy saver.
You have heard of energy efficiency, but don’t personally practice it. You like to have things running and ready around you, to fit your busy schedule. However, small changes are a big deal. Start small by turning off the lights and TV or shutting down your computer, and work your way up. You’ll be surprised how much energy you’ll save!