Shell’s Portfolio in the Americas
Shell has been exploring for and producing oil and natural gas in the Americas for more than 60 years. Those decades of learning are reflected in everything we do today, from our technical best practices to our commitment to being part of the communities where we operate.
From sour gas assets in Canada that have been producing for decades to our newest shale oil and gas production in the southwest United States, we develop our onshore oil and natural gas projects with a long-term view and in an environmentally and socially responsible manner.
Areas where Shell now has interest:
- DEEP BASIN Sweet natural gas and natural gas liquids are produced from multiple basin-centered formations in west central Alberta.
- FOOTHILLS Located in southern Alberta, the Waterton, Jumping Pound and Caroline fields are sour gas assets that have been producing for more than 50 years.
- FOX CREEK Located near the town of Fox Creek in northwest Alberta, this asset produces liquids-rich shale from tight/shale gas formations known as the Duvernay.
- GROUNDBIRCH Natural gas is produced from the Montney tight gas formation in northeast British Columbia.
- APPALACHIA The Marcellus shale gas basin extends into several Appalachian states, including Pennsylvania. The Utica shale formation is an emerging exploration area in this basin.
- HAYNESVILLE The Haynesville shale formation stretches into Arkansas, Texas and Louisiana.
- PERMIAN Reaching from west Texas to southeastern New Mexico, this basin has produced conventional oil for decades. It’s now re-emerging as a significant liquids-rich shale resource.
Areas where Shell is exploring:
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN HOUSE This emerging liquids-rich shale exploration area is located near the town of Rocky Mountain House in central Alberta.
- VACA MUERTA This shale oil and gas formation is in the western Argentine province of Neuquén.
More in Energy and Innovation
We develop onshore natural gas projects with a long-term view that measures success in multiple dimensions: economic, social and environmental.
Helping meet global energy demand in a responsible way. We are focusing on delivery and growth, leveraging our strong portfolio.
You may also be interested in
Explore opportunities to take your career to the next level. Whether you are a student, a graduate or an experienced professional, discover the impact you could make with a career at Shell.
In the Gulf of Mexico, Shell currently operates a number of different types of platforms and systems.
Energy is vital for producing food, fuelling transport, and offering communication channels across the world.