Shell Energy’s Environmental Solutions are characterized by five key elements of service:
Our trading professionals bring nearly a decade of experience in North American emissions markets. In addition, we are able to leverage Shell’s experience in trading international carbon markets.
We feature a dedicated marketing and trading team for environmental products. Shell Energy professionals are regular speakers at industry conferences and customer events, and are actively involved in policy discussions. Our goal is to shape the design of new environmental markets to ensure they are liquid, deep and transparent, which helps bring price certainty and lower transaction costs.
Shell has set the pace in environmental products transactions:
- First to trade a carbon product usable under a US mandatory cap-and-trade program
- First to trade Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI) allowance future contract on the Chicago Climate Futures Exchange
- First to execute a transaction on European Union (EU) allowances
- First to take delivery of Certified Emission Reductions (CERs) under the Clean Development Mechanism program
Our broad portfolio positions us to trade in both compliance and voluntary markets across North America. Our markets and services include:
- Renewable Energy - Structured offtake agreements with renewable power developers; Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) for compliance with state Renewable Portfolio Standards; RECs for the voluntary market
- Carbon Products - Allowances for regional compliance markets such as RGGI and Alberta and credits for voluntary emissions targets
- Other Emissions Markets - Regional NOx markets and Federal SO2 Acid Rain program
Superior Credit Rating
- Shell Energy’s environmental products are backed by a top-tier credit rating.