Main content | back to top
Shell at a glance
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies. Our headquarters are in The Hague, the Netherlands, and our Chief Executive Officer is Ben Van Beurden. The parent company of the Shell group is Royal Dutch Shell plc, which is incorporated in England and Wales.
Our strategy to generate profitable growth remains to drive forward with our investment programme, to deliver sustainable growth and provide competitive returns to shareholders, while helping to meet global energy demand in a responsible way.
In Upstream we focus on exploring for new oil and gas reserves and developing major projects where our technology and know-how adds value to the resource holders.
In Downstream our emphasis remains on sustained cash generation from our existing assets and selective investments in growth markets.
Our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people form the basis of the Shell General Business Principles .
Shell by numbers (figures for 2013)
- +70 countries where we operate
- ~92,000 average number of employees
- 50% of our production is natural gas
- 19.6 million tonnes of equity LNG sold during the year
- 3.2 million barrels of oil equivalent we produce every day
- 44,000 Shell service stations worldwide
- 30+ refineries and chemical plants we run
- Upstream explores for and extracts crude oil and natural gas.
- Downstream refines, supplies, trades and ships crude worldwide, manufactures and markets a range of products, and produces petrochemicals for industrial customers.
- Projects & Technology manages delivery of Shell’s major projects and drives the research and innovation to create technology solutions.
- Revenue: $451.2 billion
- Income: $16.5 billion
- Capital investment: $44 billion
- Investment in research and development: $1.3 billion