Main content | back to top
Message from Marvin Odum
Marvin Odum, president, Shell Oil Company, addresses the importance the Shell and Motiva U.S. Employee Preparedness program in a letter to staff.
Hurricane Sandy, the Boston bombing, Oklahoma tornadoes, the Newtown school shootings…these are only a few of the events from the past year that have reminded me of the importance of preparing ourselves and our families for emergencies.
Each year at this time we distribute Emergency Preparedness Kits to Shell and Motiva employees in the U.S. You can download a copy here. I urge you to review the information in the kit carefully and take the requested actions.
The Emergency Preparedness and Office Closure Procedures documents in this kit include standardized protocols and procedures to ensure both preparedness for and response to emergency situations affecting our people and businesses.
These procedures are the culmination of lessons learned from employees across the businesses over the last several years in various types of emergency situations. By reading and completing the few simple actions outlined in this document, you help to ensure the preparedness of your family, home, and workplace – and honor our commitment to Goal Zero.
For example, by updating your contact information in HR Online Self-Service (per the instructions in Appendix A of the kit), you will facilitate a smooth check-in via the Emergency Hotline in the hectic days following an emergency.
By completing the instructions in Appendix B, you can enable your personal communications devices (e.g. personal mobile phone, personal email) to receive emergency notifications. If you have a smartphone with a Quick Response Code scanner app, you may scan the QR Code on the badge card included in your kit at any time to access an electronic version of this document.
Shell and Motiva take emergency preparedness seriously and want to ensure the safety of you and your family is the top priority in any crisis or emergency situation.
Upon receipt of this Emergency Preparedness Kit:
- Complete the actions outlined in the Emergency Preparedness and Office Closure Procedures document, especially the update of your contact information in HR Online Self-Service and the Shell Notification System
- Add the 2013 Emergency Preparedness Badge Card to your ID holder
- Please remember that on the day following any emergency or natural disaster, ALL* Shell and Motiva employees that reside or work within the impacted area are required to check-in using: 1.877.40.SHELL (1.877.407.4355) or 1.866.745.5489
- Or the online check-in center at www.shell.us/help
I hope you find these items useful in preparing for potential emergencies.
Shell Oil Company
* Trading employees are also required to respond to Shell Notification System (SNS) notifications.