Main content | back to top
News and Media Releases
Hurricane Isaac - Guidance regarding One Shell Square
• If you feel you need time to prepare your home and family for the potential impact of the storm, you are free to leave the office today at your discretion with your supervisor's permission. Please ensure your supervisor is informed of your evacuation and virtual work plans.
• Due to the possibility of bad weather in the area and the need to help reduce traffic congestion and leave the roads to those in evacuation areas, we are requesting that you DO NOT come into One Shell Square on Tuesday and Wednesday, August 28 and 29. If you have a critical need to come in, please discuss this with your supervisor beforehand. Services in the buildings will be very limited.
• In One Shell Square, the IT Shell Network and Phone system will be brought down today at 5 p.m. which will prevent usage of those devices in the building after that time. Remote login via MOP/MOB will be available going forward.
• Before you leave the office, please ensure you complete the actions listed in the Shell and Motiva Emergency Preparedness and Office Closure Procedures document. Important reminders in this document include:
- Ensure your information is up-to-date in Shell People (employees only)
- Ensure you have exchanged contact information with your supervisor
- Back-up your files
- Take with you items such as your laptop, badge/SmartCard, BlackBerry/mobile device chargers and cables, personal items that may be in your desk, etc.
- Remove perishable items from breakroom refrigerators
- Ensure current or incoming guests are apprised of the situation
• If you will be working from home, please utilize the best practices for remote working (found in the Shell and Motiva Emergency Preparedness and Office Closure Procedures). We can expect the system to be taxed, resulting in delays and slow performance. With that in mind, unless you have a business critical application, please logon, synchronize and logoff.
After the worst of the storm has passed, an update on the status of any impacted sites will be available on the Shell and Motiva Emergency Hotline (1-877-40-SHELL or 1-866-745-5489) and posted at http://www.shell.us/help. The day following any emergency or natural disaster, all Shell and Motiva employees that reside or work within the impacted area are required to call either of the numbers listed above. Press 1 to access the menu, and select Option 1 - Automated Check-in Line. Alternatively, online check-in will be available at the link above.
When you call, you will be asked for the following information:
- Employee ID number
- Primary residence phone number
- MOBL number loaded in Shell People
- TEL2 number loaded in Shell People
- Call back number or email address
- Status update (lodging, etc.)
Please also report your status to your supervisor. Contractors should report their status to their employer.
• Building status and return to work conditions can be monitored via your voice mailbox. If you do not have a voice mail box, you can call (504) 728-0300 to receive the updates, which will be provided as conditions change. At this time, we are expecting the ability to return to the building with full services on Thursday, August 30, but check the voice mail message and/or additional information sources listed below prior to returning to work.
Continue to check for updates at the following sources:
• Toll-free Shell and Motiva Emergency Hot Line: 1-877-40-SHELL (1-877-407-4355) or 1-866-745-5489
(press 6 for office locations, press 7 for Downstream Manufacturing sites)
• Intranet: http://sww.shell.com/us/
• Internet: http://www.shell.us/help
• Twitter: follow @shell_stormctr
• In addition, some businesses or locations utilize the Shell Notification System (SNS) to communicate office closures or other business continuity updates.
All staff with a Shell provided email account have had their business contact details automatically imported into SNS. If you wish to receive office closure messages on your personal devices (e.g. home phone, personal cell phone), please enter these details in SNS.
Information on this tool and process is available in Appendix B of the Shell and Motiva Emergency Preparedness and Office Closure Procedures document.
While it is still too early to identify where the storm will have the greatest impact, we recognize that our employees are spread out over a wide area and may need time to prepare their homes and families for the potential impact of the storm. We ask that you discuss your plans for evacuation and working virtually with your immediate supervisor and as always, please make the safety of you and your family the top priority.