Main content | back to top
Emergency Communication Plan
This list will help family members re-connect if separated during a disaster.
Your family may not be together when a disaster strikes or may get separated during the disaster, so plan how you will contact one another. Complete a contact card for each family member with important telephone numbers. Have each family member keep a copy of this information at home, work, school, and in their cars.
Establish an “out-of-state” contact for family members to check in with if they can’t reach each other locally. It is often easier to call outside the area of a disaster than locally.
Keep copies of records in a waterproof, fireproof container. Important items to keep copies of are:
- Driver's license, passport, social security card, immunization, and proof of address
- Important records such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, and death certificates
- Bank and credit card account numbers and records
- Inventory of valuable household goods
- Wills, insurance policies, contracts, deeds, stocks and bonds
- Pet vaccination and veterinarian records